Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

VM installation in the summer house

I want to install VM in my summer house which is about 30m from the house would this easy to do and what cable/coax would I need, or would it best be done by an engineer?

cheers

Anth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM installation in the summer house

Hello

Only an engineer would be able to do that as under the terms and conditions the cable cannot be modified by the customer.

What are you looking at putting in the the summer house ?

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As long as the summerhouse is on the same electrical ring main you can use a power line adapter connected via you’re hub

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Paul_262 wrote:

As long as the summerhouse is on the same electrical ring main you can use a power line adapter connected via you’re hub

That would work only if they wanted WiFi. If they wanted TV or a seperate account & services in there, they would need cabling. 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Why not try our text messaging service? It's a great way to get help with your services.

Just send your query to 07533051809 and we'll text you back.

We're open 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am - 5pm weekends.

If my post has helped you at all please mark it Helpful or give a Kudos, thanks!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Burnetto wrote:

I want to install VM in my summer house which is about 30m from the house would this easy to do and what cable/coax would I need, or would it best be done by an engineer?

cheers

Anth

You can lay your own cable if you like and run it how you see fit, it would save our Engineer the job of doing so, the cable would need to be of the same or higher spec than we use. We may just need to test it and change the connectors on the end of the cable. I've been to plenty of customers where they have ran their own cables either hidden through the house or out to an extension/summer house. 

The main benefit is that you can hide away the cable how you would like it best, where if the Engineer was to do it, they may go through options with you but ultimately choose the easiest way (as all jobs are timed). 

Why not try our text messaging service? It's a great way to get help with your services.

If my post has helped you at all please mark it Helpful or give a Kudos, thanks!
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that would you know where I could obtain the cable and the spec you use?

Anth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Do not assume that the installation will work as 30m is a significant distance if your house is close to the limit from the cabinet.

In any case I don't see VM doing non-essential work until the crisis is over.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

https://www.screwfix.com/p/nexans-rg6-black-1-core-round-coaxial-cable-25m-drum/195fk

This is one that is commonly used in place of ours and is perfectly fine to use.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I recently asked a question about setting up V6 in my summer house and had had a very helpful reply so thank you, so my next question related to the 1st is: the V6 I want to relocate is currently in an upstairs bedroom and that is the one I want putting in the summer house. Can the coax be fed from the connection box on the wall in the bedroom to the summer house which is about 20 meters away which includes the drop back down to ground level? Or would a new line be needed coming from the main feed box outside the house?.

cheers

Anth

0 Kudos