Menu
LilyPop
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

V6 vs TIVO advice please

Hi hoping someone could give me some advice please. We currently have a TIVO box, but are thinking of upgrading to a V6 box. Mainly for the apps, as we can't access Amazon Prime through TIVO, and any apps (eg iplayer) are so slow we can't use them. How do Amazon Prime and apps perform through V6? How do you get into them? Are they like a "channel" on the TV guide you click into, or do you have to go through apps to get to them? And is there any other additional content/benefits to a V6 box vs a TIVO box? We were thinking of getting a Smart TV until realised there is very little 4K programs available, so for ease of using Prime/iplayer etc were thinking of upgrading our Virgin box instead. Any advice/comments/pros/cons gratefully received! Many thanks.  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 vs TIVO advice please

You can access via channels or as apps, the V6 is a much faster box, but it must be connectef to the broadband unlike the Tivo, they allways worked fine for me but others have had issues

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The main benefits of the V6 are that it's much faster than the TiVo and has more apps, but lacks a SCART socket and must be connected to a VM hub. Note that you have only a limited selection of apps installed on the V6, and that some apps such as Disney+, Britbox, Apple TV+ and Now TV are lacking.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
ozsat
Community elder
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I can't think of anything that the old Standard TiVo box can do which the V6 TiVo box can not do faster - plus the V6 has more apps and tuners.

But as said it has slightly different connection requirements.

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The V6 has 6 recording tuners compared with the TiVo's 3, so your requirement to use CatchUp TV can potentially be reduced to zero. As others have said, the box supports 4K UHD if that floats your boat, you can also use the VM TV Control app to stream your recorded programmes on another device, at home.

The V6 does carry more apps, notable additions being Amazon Prime, and ITV/C4/C5. A lot of the content on the ITV/C4/C5 ones is duplicated on the standard VM-VOD service, but not all by any means.

It is a much quicker box - iPlayer starts playback in around 10-15 seconds, to give an example. The biggie though, the TIVo has its internet connection inbuilt whereas the V6 doesn't - and depends on a connection to your VM homehub. Ethernet is recommended if at all possible, but it can use WiFi.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

dibberly
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Why does it have to be connected via Ethernet???

I have 2 TiVo boxes, 1 could easily be connected but the other there is no chance due to the location on the router and tv

do they HAVE to be connected to the internet?

ozsat
Community elder
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

They can use Wifi - but both use the internet for the apps etc.

@dibberly wrote:

Why does it have to be connected via Ethernet???

I have 2 TiVo boxes, 1 could easily be connected but the other there is no chance due to the location on the router and tv

do they HAVE to be connected to the internet?

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The boxes need a TV signal for live channels to work, and an internet connection for apps, guide updates and a few other bits.

With the TiVo, both of these come through the same physical cable and the box splits them out internally. The V6 doesn't have a cablemodem - so handles TV down the coax, but internet over Ethernet or WiFi.

LilyPop
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This is all very helpful thanks. What about the Apps are they any good? So I already have Virgin TV Go. I'm sure I used to be able to set the TIVO box to record through this but can't anymore. Is my understanding correct, that with the V6 box, you can watch stuff you've recorded onto the box, on the App? And, can you cast (using Chromecast for example) from the App onto a different TV to the one the V6 box is attached to? Sorry for all the questions! Always find you get far better (and truthful!) answers from users than Virgin themselves! 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Apps work well on the V6. Netflix benefits from VM's caching, so requests and streams stay on VM's network. Prime Video works well, but I prefer to use the app on my Fire TV Stick so I can get the excellent X-Ray.

You cannot record anything which is streamed, i.e. from On Demand or Catch-Up, or from apps.

Casting to the V6 is app-dependant, only one I know is YouTube.

Chromecast has nothing to do with the V6 as it's plugged into the TV or AV receiver.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos