Menu
Mart1159
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

V6 to V6 streaming

Hi,

I have 2 V6 boxes in separate rooms. The first is connected by cable to my superhub, while the second is in another room connected by cable to a Linksys mesh node. The mesh node is connected by cable to the master mesh node which is in turn connected by cable to the superhub. I cannot view the content (recordings) between boxes. Both boxes have separate cable connections to Virgin TV which link in the outside box. Both complain about TCP ports giving a failed message for 80, 8080 etc. Any suggestions?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 to V6 streaming

I presume you're getting these errors from the port configuration test, which often gives false results on perfectly working systems - mine included. You can safely disregard its results.

Both of your V6 will have a coax connection to the external cable, this is what carries your TV signals and is irrelevant for streaming.

Both boxes will have an independent connection to your homehub (by Ethernet or WiFi), this is what matters for streaming from OD, apps & multiroom.

As a basic starter, can each box use OnDemand ok? This will prove the connection as working. Once that's proven, the next thing is to ask what happens when you try to multiroom stream/connect to each box. The 2 boxes need to be on the same subnet - so since your setup is a little different to most people's (nothing wrong with that, by the way), I'll ask... are they?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Mart1159
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes separate coax connections from the brown incoming box outside. Individually both boxes get our full TV package and can go to apps, iplayer etc. Both show as connected to internet and can connect to the VM service. I will check up and subnet and get back to you. 

0 Kudos
Mart1159
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Back room box is 192.168.0.48, gateway 192.168.0.1 (Superhub) and subnet 255.255.255.0: front room is 192.168.1.179, gateway 192.168.1.1 (Linksys mesh master node)and subnet 255.255.255.0. Presumably the different gateways are the issue

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

At the very least that's not helping, and could potentially be the cause.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You have two DHCP servers and each V6 is on a different LAN IP segment. What you can do put the hub into modem mode and connect the first V6 to the Linksys. You might need to reboot the master mesh node to get it to obtain its WAN IP address.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Mart1159
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately I can’t plug the V6 to the mesh master node as the 2 mesh nodes need to be directly connected by cable to each other to work. I set it up like this as the mesh Wi-Fi connection between front and back of the house wasn’t stable. This means the masters second port has to connect to the super hub 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you lack a spare LAN port just plug a gigabit port network switch into the first port and the mesh node and V6 into the switch. My sig has an example of an 8-port switch but there are smaller 4-port switches available.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
mjpartyboy
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

In my experience, our two V6 boxes seeing each other is a bit flaky. Everything is configured to allow this and they worked for many months, so could watch recordings from one box on the other, then one day without any changes to the boxes or home network configuration, neither could access recordings on the other, then I tried again one day and it worked and now it doesn't again. So, at this point I've given up trying to troubleshoot it. 🙃

SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@mjpartyboy wrote:

In my experience, our two V6 boxes seeing each other is a bit flaky. Everything is configured to allow this and they worked for many months, so could watch recordings from one box on the other, then one day without any changes to the boxes or home network configuration, neither could access recordings on the other, then I tried again one day and it worked and now it doesn't again. So, at this point I've given up trying to troubleshoot it. 🙃

That may be so, but you've not said how your 2 V6 boxes are connected. Are they WiFi or Ethernet, for example? Sure there's the odd issue with boxes dropping off multiroom setups and needing restarting, but for the most part - the vast majority of these setups work well. There would be a barrage of posts on here if that wasn't the case.

0 Kudos