Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

V6 streaming to other devices

Hi All,

I'm new to these forums, so please be gentle.

I upgraded recently from a TiVo to V6 so we could stream programmes to our devices when away from home. The V6 box appears to work fine, until it attempts to set up streaming.

Image from iOS (3).pngImage from iOS (2).pngImage from iOS (1).png

I've tried a few things.

• Called Virgin support. They said second line support would call me back. A week later, when I was in Colorado, they called me back at 3am, then 4am, then left a voicemail saying they were closing the ticket.
  • I've tried Iphone6, Iphone8, and Ipad.
  • I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the TV Control app on all the devices.
  • I've tried the cable modem in "router" and "modem" modes, and connected to both via ethernet and wireless.
  • I've tried two different SuperHubs.
  • I've switched the V6 on and off quite a few times.
  • I've cleared and reset the V6 via settings.
  • The V6 successfully connects to the VM Service and downloads programme metadata.
  • The DNS test passes, the port test fails and recommends a long list of ports. These ports are all open outbound for TCP and UDP, when in either router or modem mode, so I'm not sure why the port test fails.

I've searched this forum and seen people recommend a new V6 box, but that's hard to get when the call centre tell you to wait for a call from second line support, who then call you at anti-social hours.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

TLL

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 streaming to other devices

This is the status from the V6's webserver:

Selection_080.png

Selection_081.png

Selection_082.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Doing some detective work here...

Note how the System Time in the "TiVo Stream System Information" is close to the epoch? The V6's own date is actually correct:IMG_2613.JPG

This makes me suspect that the streaming system isn't able to get the correct time/date - which in turn, would lead to all certificates being created/validated by the streaming system failing. If you think it's 1970, and everyone else thinks it's 2019, it's hard to generate mutual trust 🙂

Could someone else please post the "Main" section from the webserver on their V6 here and tell me if the time/date are correct, and if streaming works? You can access it via http://<your-V6-IP-address>:49152/sysinfo . Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

You can only stream recordings from the V6 to a device on your home network, can't be done away from home.

To watch recordings outside of your home you would need to download them to your device before you go away.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response. I have a VPN so remote devices can appear as on the home network once we've got the V6 able to stream locally.

I haven't actually tried with remote devices yet: this issue occurs for local devices.

TLL

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The V6 also does not work with VPN's as far as I know.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Correct. The V6 needs VM's closed network to work.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

This issue occurs with local devices, i.e. all on the same subnet as the V6.

Could anyone please tell me if their V6 has the same time on the streaming device as the main device?

Alternatively, does anyone know how to set the time/date on the TiVo Stream System inside a V6?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Take the VPN out of the equation and try again, I believe it will then work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Much as we would like to stream to anywhere from our boxes, Virgins carriage agreements with the broadcasters don't allow it.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos