Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 41
Flag for a moderator

V6 sound No Picture

When I switch my Sony Bravia (8 year old) TV on I get sound, menu options, but no picture.  The exception is Netflix which works fine.

If i remove the HDMI cable and re-insert, it works ok.  Also if you turn the box on 3 or 4 times it works. 

None of this is ideal.

Two engineers have been out and replaced one box to no avail.  When i rang customer support they said the TV was the problem.  I'm happy to accept the TV is old and could be the problem but would like confirmation from Virgin before I buy a new TV.

I've read on forums this has been a problem for other users.

Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 sound No Picture

Hi I doubt any one from virgin will commit themselves to encourage people to spend money on non virgin equipment, you can only be guided by what the engineers have told you, it's your money so the decision is yours.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

This happened to me once, all the menus worked but the video stream was just black, I could hear the audio. It is not the TV, it is a few months old 4K LG and all other devices are fine, this little box seems to be full of bugs! I fiddled with the cables for a while and restarted several times and since then it has not happened again. Ill add an update if I experience this again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi mrpaddyseymour,

Welcome to the Community!

Really sorry to hear you're having trouble with your V6 box.

Are you still experiencing the same issue?

Speak soon

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Yep from time to time. It's not ideal.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi mrpaddyseymour,

Thanks for getting back to me!

How often does the V6 lose sound and picture? Does it rectify itself or do you have to reboot the box? 

Speak soon

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 41
Flag for a moderator

This happens to me literally every time I switch my Sony Bravia tv on.  Doesn't matter whether the V6 is on standby or remains on, each time without fail I get sound put no picture, however the epg is available exactly as you describe.

This is very poor as I only installed the box last week, clearly for so many people to confirm of the same problem there's a bug somewhere, or a compatibilty issue.  This is very frustrating, hope you found a perminent fix that you can share.  Only way for me to get round the problem is multiple reboots of the v6.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Just installed theV6 and within a few minutes exactly the same problem.

All was fine, but after 10 minutes setting up all my series links I went back to tv and ... no picture but sound and all menus were fine.

Rang up Virgin and they reset the box and no difference.

Re-powered everything and no difference.

Then the V6 suddenly decided to reset itself and the picture came back.

Not a good start.

I also have a Sony Bravia TV which has been fine for 3 years with Tivo, Bluray, PS3, Humax , Apple TV and a Sony home cinema receiver.

I would have thought if my TV can cope with 1080p from a bluray then 1080i from a V6 would have been a piece of cake.

So I wonder if Virgin will come back and say it's my TV that's at fault given the only thing it's had problem with is a V6?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Our Tivo box was installed on Tuesday and today we've got the same problem: no picture but have sound, we can use the guide, netflix, youtube but on tv channels we only have sound and subtitle. We've tried different hdmi cables, rebooting, restarting, switched off/onn but no effect. If we use the standby mode and after we turn it on, we ha have picture 'till 3 seconds. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi wibble59,

Thanks for taking the time to post.

I'd like to arrange for an engineer to take a closer look so I'm just going to send you a private message which you will find if you click on the purple envelope at the top right of the screen.

Talk to you soon

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos