Menu
Clarky1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

V6 remote control RF range

Can anyone advise the range on the V6 remote in RF mode?  I’m getting VM TV installed, currently have Sky with HDMI/Ethernet cabling to several TVs (with remote through Magic Eye/coax cable) so V6 box will be ~12/14 metres away from the remote and the signal needs to pass through two walls, a ceiling and a wooden cabinet.

Will the RF signal be strong enough for this set up, or should I use IR mode on the remote and get an IR repeater (Marmitek Powermid XL maybe?) to do the job?  Or any other suggestions welcome!

thanks

0 Kudos
ozsat
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 remote control RF range

It may work - here the downstairs V6 received the signal if you took the remote upstairs and across the house - and got it muddled with the upstairs remote.

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you are using an HDMI splitter with a V6, make sure it is HDCP 2.2 compliant. V6 boxes are very fussy with HDCP.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Clarky1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I’d never even thought about the HDMI connections as they work fine for Sky HD signals.

The splitter, in fact the whole set up, was in the house when we moved in.  Installed ~2013 probably.  The 4 way splitter says Wyrestorm HDMI 1.3b on it.  When googling, it seems HDCP 2.2 is important for 4K, UHD (I’m no expert at all so may not be correct on this).  I’m really not interested in 4K at all and none of my TVs are anything but normal HD, so I’m thinking (hoping?) I might be better waiting to see if it works or not first.  If not, I can them replace the splitter with a new one, I guess.  Any thoughts/input warmly welcomed!!  Many thanks, once again.

0 Kudos
ozsat
Community elder
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

In regards to HDCP - it seems the the V6 and SkyQ boxes are very strict even if not viewing in 4K.  Older SkyHD boxes may not have checked it.

@Clarky1 wrote:

Thanks, I’d never even thought about the HDMI connections as they work fine for Sky HD signals.

The splitter, in fact the whole set up, was in the house when we moved in.  Installed ~2013 probably.  The 4 way splitter says Wyrestorm HDMI 1.3b on it.  When googling, it seems HDCP 2.2 is important for 4K, UHD (I’m no expert at all so may not be correct on this).  I’m really not interested in 4K at all and none of my TVs are anything but normal HD, so I’m thinking (hoping?) I might be better waiting to see if it works or not first.  If not, I can them replace the splitter with a new one, I guess.  Any thoughts/input warmly welcomed!!  Many thanks, once again.

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
Clarky1
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yep, it is an old Sky box, not SkyQ.  I’m still not sure what I’m supposed to do/check - I don’t really know what ‘strict’ means.  Is there a specific 4:1 HDMI splitter that works with whatever this HDCP 2.2 is?  Thanks again, your reply and any other insight you might have is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you can see menus & have sound, but no TV pictures then you have an HDCP problem.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos