cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 recorded programme unavailable

AnotherUser
On our wavelength

Hi,

I have some old BBC recordings on my V6 box, but when I try to play them, I get the message:

No Longer Available

We're sorry, but this recording can't be viewed because BBC ONE is no longer available from Virgin Media.

What's going on? Of course BBC ONE is available! If I the try to watch the same recording through my TIVO box, I get the message:

Not Permitted

Doctor Who - Flux: The Halloween Apocalypse

Due to policy set by the copyright holder, this recording cannot be played on the TIVO box.

Why a different message?

40 REPLIES 40

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There have been no changes to BBC4HD as far as I can tell, although the SIDs for both BBC3HD & BBC4HD on broadcast Mux 074 have changed recently when BBC3 was moved from 157 to 113 in Scotland.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

CPCP
On our wavelength

when BBC3 was moved from 157 to 113 in Scotland.”

I can’t speak for other parts of Scotland but here in Glasgow BBC3 is on 157. At least it is on mine.

CPCP
On our wavelength

Not sure who to reply to in order to give an update.

Arghh. After navigating that exceedingly frustrating telephone menu I finally managed to speak to someone…who didn’t know what the problem could be. There was talk of sending an engineer out which I suggested might be a waste of everyone’s time. I was passed on to the “second level” faults team who seemed to know less than the first person. At some point in the conversation he even suggested it was because they were currently having problems with the signal from the BBC !!! After a reboot, despite me saying I had already done that, there was talk of a factory reset. Perhaps there is an option of a factory reset that would preserve my recordings but based on what had happened so far I suggested that, rather than bringing back my lost recordings, a factory reset risked deleting everything. Anyway, since this only seems to affect older recordings from BBC Four HD, it really doesn’t look like the kind of problem that would be solved by a factory reset.

They’re going to call me back in a few hours when ‘they will have a resolution’. Hmm. I’m not banking on that.

I’m not a technician or engineer but if I was a gambling person I would bet that what has happened is that at some point in the past, maybe when it moved to 108 in England, they deleted the channel BBC Four HD and replaced it with a new channel called… BBC Four HD. Here in Scotland, because it stayed on 107, there was no indication that anything had changed. The consequence is that VM have shredded my older recordings without any warning or indication that it might happen.

Then again when they call back maybe they’ll have it sorted. Hmm.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@CPCP wrote:

I can’t speak for other parts of Scotland but here in Glasgow BBC3 is on 157. At least it is on mine.

One of the disadvantages of not being able to check if its happened yet. I have had it confirmed by staff over on the VIP forum that BBC3HD will take the vacant 113 channel slot in Scotland & Wales. This was after a channel change information slate about the change was prematurely put up a couple of weeks ago on channel 100

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

CPCP
On our wavelength

“They’re going to call me back in a few hours when ‘they will have a resolution’. Hmm. I’m not banking on that. ..”

Well, no surprises there. They said they’d call back at 5pm. Didn’t happen. And they close at 6 on Sunday.

Sadly, everything I’ve come to expect from VM.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm as sure as possible without having network-side visibility, that shuffling EPG positions doesn't cause the symptoms described.

@CPCP wrote:

I would bet that what has happened is that at some point in the past, maybe when it moved to 108 in England, they deleted the channel BBC Four HD and replaced it with a new channel called… BBC Four HD.

I'm minded to agree - different regional channel versions have been known with the BBC channels especially.

I'd also come back to the year's grace period - VM's recordings aren't intended for long-term archiving.

I must admit that I believed, somewhat naively it seems, that the recordings were written to somewhere on the V6 box itself so that I could keep them indefinitely. I don't recall ever seeing anywhere that recordings were time-limited. I notice that the deleted recordings appear in my 'Recording hiccups' list, saying that they 'Can be recovered'; if I recover them, they reappear in the 'My Shows' list, but still cannot be played.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AnotherUser wrote:
I must admit that I believed, somewhat naively it seems, that the recordings were written to somewhere on the V6 box itself so that I could keep them indefinitely. I don't recall ever seeing anywhere that recordings were time-limited.

Recordings are indeed stored on your V6's HDD and the vast majority of the time there is no restriction or limit.

VM need to maintain control over accessibility, mainly around channels closing down or being removed from your package.

Sky for instance, require you to have an active subscription to the relevant channel at time of recording & viewing - so you lose access if you remove a channel.

That particular restriction doesn't apply to other broadcasters.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@CPCP wrote:

The latest is this change is now happening on 12th April.

CPCP
On our wavelength

@CPCP wrote:

Well, no surprises there. They said they’d call back at 5pm. Didn’t happen. And they close at 6 on Sunday.

There is a certain fascination in watching the inevitable. A big part of me cannot be bothered but there's a principle. I'm paying for a service which I'm not getting and I don't think customers should be treated like this.

Nobody called me back so I once again set out to dial 151, navigate the telephone menu misdirections, and explained the problem again. I was told that it would be passed to...yes, the second level faults team and someone would call back within five days. Two days later someone did call back and I explained for the fourth time. She said she would have to go and find someone who could help....and someone would call me back. The next day someone did call me back and I explained for the fifth time as they still didn't have an accurate note of the problem.  I had to explain to this person the difference between Channel4 and BBCFourHD. This person then said it would be necessary for an engineer to come out to check the box. Not for the first time I suggested this would be a waste of everyone's time. I'm not a technician but I cannot conceive of any fault with the box that would cause these symptoms. The person from the second level faults team insisted that an engineer needed to investigate. I did wonder to myself if there was a third level faults team but thought it prudent not to ask. So, we await a visit from an engineer. I think we know how that is going to go.

To be fair to the faults team they are probably required to work through a checklist. Unfortunately, they are looking for a fault when there almost certainly is no fault. I have tried explaining this but it doesn't seem to make any difference. The box is doing precisely what it has been told to do. What we have here is a permissions issue. Somewhere a network manager, or someone with some other such title, has made a decision and may not even be aware of the consequences, or, if they are, they don't care because they are also just doing what they've been told to do. Along with that there is probably no mechanism to feed information back to the relevant team. In the meantime the customer is expected to simply accept a sub-standard service.

Oh, and I suppose I can add that to pass security for one of these calls I was asked to give the ninth letter of my password. My password only has eight letters.