Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

V6 jumps back to start of programme when recording

It's driving me mad - every time I watch a live programme which I am also recording, but am watching on a minute or two's pause, after about five minutes into the programme it jumps back to the beginning. So I have to go to My Shows and start the recording and FFwd to the point I was at when it jumped back.

Why does it need to do this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 jumps back to start of programme when recording

Are you recording the previous program with an after buffer?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

That is entirely possible.  Any sane programming would, however, realise there are SIX tuners in this device, so there is no excuse for allowing this behaviour.

So, if it is the case that this is because consecutive programmes are being recorded, how can it be avoided. The user does not appear to have any control over which tuner is used for which recording...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

With the current TiVO firmware it cant be avoided. Using the same tuner for consecutive recordings on the same channel is the most efficient way of using the tuners, as it stops recordings on other channels being lost.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Sorry. Makes no sense to me. Firmware? What's it got to do with that, specifically?

This is programming (code, not TV programmes)  and if I am only recording one TV programme at a time (two during overlap) there is no reason not to use two separate tuners. Are you implying that no two tuners cannot be on the same channel? 'Cos as far as I can see that's not the case. So if it knows it has no other TV programmes to record in parallel, the underlying algorithm should be set to use different tuners. THAT is what would be 'efficient'. There is no efficiency in insisting on using the same tuner for consecutive recordings when no other recordings are set.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@george57l wrote:

Sorry. Makes no sense to me. Firmware? What's it got to do with that, specifically?

This is programming (code, not TV programmes)  and if I am only recording one TV programme at a time (two during overlap) there is no reason not to use two separate tuners. Are you implying that no two tuners cannot be on the same channel? 'Cos as far as I can see that's not the case. So if it knows it has no other TV programmes to record in parallel, the underlying algorithm should be set to use different tuners. THAT is what would be 'efficient'. There is no efficiency in insisting on using the same tuner for consecutive recordings when no other recordings are set.

I am not privy to the amount of processing power the box has, but as far as to say the box used to allow two tuners on the same channel & this WAS causing problems with customers losing recordings, hence the TiVO developers in the states changed it.

That is immaterial now as the TiVO platform is about to be superseded by Horizon 4 which records in the cloud & dispenses with the hard drive altogether.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

"Horizon 4 which records in the cloud & dispenses with the hard drive altogether."

Over my metaphorically dead body. Data in the cloud can be arbitrarily 'expired' or removed by the cloud service provider at any time. AFAIK, when it is on my Tivo's disk it cannot be.  Data that is not on a local device I have access to and can copy can be said to not exist. (Schofield's three laws -https://www.zdnet.com/article/follow-schofields-three-laws-of-computing-and-avoid-disasters/

Which is why I have 2 Tivos identically recording everything. Because VM lie when they say they repair or replace - they NEVER repair, they just remove, along with all one's recordings - many of which are no longer available on iPlayer or other channels' equivalents. So if one box fails at least I have a backup.

But this is now another topic altogether. Over and out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@george57l wrote:

"Horizon 4 which records in the cloud & dispenses with the hard drive altogether."

Over my metaphorically dead body. Data in the cloud can be arbitrarily 'expired' or removed by the cloud service provider at any time. AFAIK, when it is on my Tivo's disk it cannot be.  Data that is not on a local device I have access to and can copy can be said to not exist. (Schofield's three laws -https://www.zdnet.com/article/follow-schofields-three-laws-of-computing-and-avoid-disasters/

Which is why I have 2 Tivos identically recording everything. Because VM lie when they say they repair or replace - they NEVER repair, they just remove, along with all one's recordings - many of which are no longer available on iPlayer or other channels' equivalents. So if one box fails at least I have a backup.

But this is now another topic altogether. Over and out.

Thats ok until a channel stops broadcasting or otherwise has the channel ID changed (as happened with BBC2 & channel 4 regional changes). Your recordings then only work for a year & then become blocked so you cannot view them.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/Unable-to-play-recording/m-p/4169231/highlight/tru... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

... and as I said elsewhere, implementation of cloud storage in another European country allows recordings to be kept for 5 years - more than enough time to allow time-shifting viewing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

"more than enough time to allow time-shifting viewing."

You blithely assume they will give you access for five years. Copyright owners may not give rights for that long or may rescind them, or any number of other eventualities may remove your (or everyone's) access. DVDs are best as these cannot be wiped remotely. Local hard drives are next best. You do not own or have control over ANYTHING in a cloud. Apart from anything else cloud providers cannot all be trusted to do solid backups capable of speedy restoration and a data centre can be taken out at any time (fire, flood, and so on).  Did you read Schofield'\s three laws?

And I have stuff on my Tivo locally that is no longer available on iPlayer (or other channels' equivalents) and no reason to think VM cloud storage will be any different.

Over and out.

0 Kudos