Menu
simon1684
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

V6 instability

Having been a customer for all services over 10 years, we recently moved house, entering a new contract and 'upgrading' from our slow (but reliable) Tivo box to a new V6 box.

As so many other people on this forum, no V6 box arrived, and it took 5 hours on the phone to customer services, and 4 assured but failed attempts to arrange for one to be ordered, until one finally arrived 2 months after entering a contract.

On opening the box, it had been shipped without a remote - so we had to buy a replacement (far easier than ringing customer services again!).

However, having now got a remote we've been plagued by a number of issues with the V6 box, rendering it pretty useless:

- It crashes all the time: Watch a pre-recorded show, press stop - it crashes and reboots itself

- It takes ~7 minutes to reboot, and then quite often then shows a W20 fault code, needing rebooting again to clear it

- It turns on randomly all the time, I think because it crashed and rebooted itself while it has been on standby.

- It occasionally hangs (comes back after a minute if you're lucky) or just freezes and then reboots itself whilst watching channels

On a plus note the broadband connection has been pretty solid and reliable!

Are these generic V6 woes or have we just been shipped some dodgy hardware?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 instability

@simon1684 wrote:

On opening the box, it had been shipped without a remote - so we had to buy a replacement (far easier than ringing customer services again!).

You can order a replacement remote online here 

@simon1684 wrote:

- It takes ~7 minutes to reboot, and then quite often then shows a W20 fault code, needing rebooting again to clear it

Are you sure W20 is the error code? You can check the most common error codes online here , I suspect you might have a W02.

@simon1684 wrote:

- It crashes all the time: Watch a pre-recorded show, press stop - it crashes and reboots itself

- It turns on randomly all the time, I think because it crashed and rebooted itself while it has been on standby.

- It occasionally hangs (comes back after a minute if you're lucky) or just freezes and then reboots itself whilst watching channels

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but.... this sounds like a dodgy box to me!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
simon1684
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 instability

Yes you're correct it's W02 not W20 - I've checked all the connections. Suspect you may be right that it's a faulty unit causing the crashes.

0 Kudos