Menu
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

V6 flickering on Samsung TV.

I've bought a Samsung UE49-MU7000 TV but the V6 Box keeps flickering, this only happens on the V6 Box, everything else is ok, if i turn the box off and on it works for a while but then the flickrring returns, this a software problem with the V6 box, are Virgin planning to fix this ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 flickering on Samsung TV.

I have the 55 mu7000 and i don't suffer with the flickering you are getting, could it be hdmi cables causing it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I think I've had this one my LG OLED55E6V also. When it happens I've been able to either restart the TV (on/off) but restarting the V6 seems to fix it for longer. When I first had it I unplugged the HDMI cable and back in again (bit naughty as they box & TV were on) which also sorted it. This leads me to think that it's possibly something to do with the HDCP negotiation between the two devices. I did not have this with the same TV in the same port with previous TiVo box.

Following on from my theory, to enable HDR on my LG you have to turn on 'deep colour' and I don't think that the V6 supports HDR just (just UHD). So, I've just turned off 'deep colour' to see whether the flickering happens again.

As your Samsung is a UHD TV with HDR support whether there is a similar option to experiment with? The only potential thing to watch out for is if/when the V6 gets an update or comment that is HDR it'd need re-enabling to make use of and HDR content.

(Caveat: I came to the V6 section of the forum to try and find out whether the box is already HDR ready or still needs a software update to enable it - from what I've read the hardware is already capable - as I've been experiencing what I think is the same issue as you)
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Been having the same problem myself for the last few weeks with our new TV Samsung 55mu6120. Rebooting the box seems to fix it for a day and then it returns. Pain in the ass.
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My 12 year old Grandson advised me to switch the TV to Game Mode, and he's a genius, it's worked a treat, it's fooled the TV into thinking the V6 Box is a Games Console so it has adjusted the settings, also the Picture is now outstanding, i think I'll take him for a KFC tomorrow as a reward.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

my new uhd lg is doing the same must be a v6 problem xbox one firestick zgemma and every other thing connected to the tv is fine

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I had same problem engineer fitted new hdmi cables and so far so good

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have a Samsung UE55MU6400 55" Smart HDR 4K Ultra HD LED TV and did a self install of the Virgin V6 box last week (plugged in to HDMi 3 port). I have been experiencing the same issues, in that when on the Home menu or a shall the screen flickers. I also noticed that the quality of the menu / channels wasn't as "crisp" as I thought it would be.

When I unplugged the HDMI from the V6 box for a few seconds and plugged it back in, the issue resolves itself for a short period of time. 

Reading various reviews and trying to understand the situation I think it may be down to the V6 Video Output settings. 

What I have done is check the Video Output settings on the V6 box (Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Video Output > Video Output Format) - it appears by default it was set to 2160p (based on my tv). What I did was change these settings. An image appears on the screen and you have to press thumbs up if you can see the image, and each resolution is tested from 516 to 2160. Once done, the video output format said "All". Since making this change I've noticed (only been a few hours so not that long) that the screen doesn't flicker, and the image quality is much sharper than it was before.

Might be worth trying the above to see if it works for you. If I have any further issues I will be calling Virgin Media support :)!

Thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Worked a treat cheers!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Smashing, I been having a flickering issue for awhile now and had exhausted all googling trying to resolve it but after process of checking everything I was 98% sure it was a V6 issue, then I happened upon your post. I have 55” LG 4K Ultra HD TV and like you my V6 box was set as default 2160, I followed your steps and again same results as you an immediate crystal clear improvements.

thanks for your post and hoping it stops the flickering only time will tell.

0 Kudos