Menu
Deano04
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

V6 crashing on youtube, black screen

Did check some posts that came up on the search but nothing really helpful.

V6 box crashing/freezing? when opening a video on the YouTube app, just get a black screen on the tv, no sound, the V6 box won't respond to any inputs from the remote such as tv/home etc. 

Its happened a few times and with different videos, box is connected to the router with ethernet.

The white light is on the box as normal and flickers when you press the remote but won't respond, have to reboot with the power switch which is a right pain as apart from the long boot up time it interrupts recordings and I lose any tv programs I have on pause.

Would rather not change the box AGAIN as its fairly new and I don't want to lose all My Shows again.

Just as a side note , surely with all this technology there should be a way to transfer your saved recordings to a new box instead of just losing everything?

Thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 crashing on youtube, black screen

Hi Deano04,

Keep the info button pressed for around 10/15 seconds next time the box freezes, then you should be able to press the Home, channel up/down or volume up/down buttons instead of rebooting.

Are you using a 4K TV? If so then the blank screen may be related to your HDMI cable not being HDMI2.2 compliant.  Please can you try following the help for  tv-error-codes/603  to see if that helps.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

0 Kudos
Deano04
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, i'll try the info button next time it happens, even if nothing can be done to fix the problem I suppose it won't be as bad if the box doesn't need re-booting.

No, I don't have a 4K tv.

0 Kudos
eddieryan
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm having this issue (except the box doesn't crash, there's just no picture) and I've seen loads of questions on this forum about it, going back over 3 years! None of them seem to actually understand or solve the problem. One solution was that the tv was too old - ours is a brand new Samsung 4k tv.

The Netflix and Amazon Prime channels both play without any issues. This issue only happens with Youtube via the Virgin app. The tv has Youtube built-in and that plays fine via the tv app, so the tv has the capability to deal with it. 

It's literally only whilst the video is paying that the issue occurs. You get the sound but no picture, but as soon as the video stops playing, the menu/next video screen comes back up.

It really doesn't surprise me that this is still an issue after all this time, as Virgin never acknowledge any issues and leave you to flounder around in this forum hoping to come upon some sort of solution. That's no kind of customer service at all.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi @eddieryan.

Welcome back to our forums.

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this with your YouTube. Does this issue occur across different devices? Have you tried deleting the app and reinstalling it to see if the issue persists?

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
eddieryan
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi

It only happens on the V6 tv app, which was recently moved from being a channel to being an app. As far as I know, you can't delete & reinstall apps on the v6 tv service. It also happens with BBC iplayer via the v6 app, but not anywhere else (tv, tablet, phone, laptop all fine).

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming that for us, can you please try the below:

Home> Help&Settings> Settings> Network> Connect to Virgin Media Service Now

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
eddieryan
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Did the above. No difference. The problem remains, and has actually got worse, as now we can't get anything from Catch Up at all. Still get sound & no picture from You Tube, get absolutely nothing from Catch Up as soon as we hit play, and then we can't get back out of it. Can we have a discount if we can't access the service?

0 Kudos
eddieryan
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

UPDATE: Problem solved!!

Did what you suggested, which didn't seem to work, but then I restarted the box and now everything is working fine.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi eddieryan,

Thank you for coming back to us with a update, glad to hear the information Emily gave you has now resolved your issues, if you do have any further issues please don't hesitate to come back to us?

Reghards

Paul. 

0 Kudos