Menu
cazaqueen
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

V6 connection

Hi there

It looks as though my Tivo box is due retirement so am thinking I will have to get a V6 box. I am right in thinking that the V6 box has to connect to the router? My router is in a different room to my TV so any idea how I can do this please? Don't really want to go wireless but short of a 20m ethernet cable, not sure else what to do.

very best

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 connection

If you don’t want to use WiFi or a long Ethernet cable, your only other option is Ethernet over powerline adapters.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
cazaqueen
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ernie, I have some powerline adaptors but don't find them the most reliable - looks Like a long cable for me then

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cable is always best. But I have 2 V6's on wifi and they work fine. However I use my own wireless equipment to ensure there is a good, strong stable 5GHz wif signal at their location. Both report the network connection as strong and ~90%.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If a hole has to be drilled through an internal wall for the V6's coaxial cable then run the Ethernet cable along the same path.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Spencer_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@cazaqueen wrote:

Thanks Ernie, I have some powerline adaptors but don't find them the most reliable - looks Like a long cable for me then

Hello, 

The Powerline adaptors you have should be fine just for the V6, if you had been using them for WiFi previously and found them unreliable they may perform better when hardwired. It'll save having to buy an extra long cable. Alternatively they can be set up WiFi which is extremely easy if setting up using WPS. I would suggest trying the Powerlines, in my experience they have generally been quite good for V6 boxes that are too far out of range for WiFi or are in a room with poor signal.  

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Why not try our text messaging service? It's a great way to get help with your services.

Just send your query to 07533051809 and we'll text you back.

We're open 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am - 5pm weekends.

If my post has helped you at all please mark it Helpful or give a Kudos, thanks!
0 Kudos