Menu
welshlad46
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

V6 boxes receiving V401 code. Both connected via wifi with good strength. Both boxes same code

As per above.. went to watch something upstairs last night which was recorded on the V6 downstairs to receive this code V401. Have reset both boxes and the hub 3 and still no luck...any ideas 

thanks in advance 🙂

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 boxes receiving V401 code. Both connected via wifi with good strength. Both boxes same code

Having both boxes connected by WiFi is likely the cause of your issue.

For each V6, navigate as following:

Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network > View Network Status >

and report:

Link Status

Signal strength

Connection Speed

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
welshlad46
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 boxes receiving V401 code. Both connected via wifi with good strength. Both boxes same code

ive not had any issues previously to be honest.

V6 downstairs 

Connected 2.4GHz

87%

144Mbps

V6 upstairs 

Connected 2.4GHz

75%

144Mbps

Im no expert but all that side of things seem fine ? So strange why it has stopped working 

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

There is very little chance of a reliable connection with both V6s connected to the slow 2.4GHz WiFi band.

At the very least, you should get both connected to the 5GHz WiFi band.

Better, one or both should be Ethernet-connected, either direct cable or over powerline adapters.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The network status will only give you the maximum capable network speed for the WiFi connection (2.4 GHz is capable of 144 on wireless n standard). What you need is the actual speed.

Go to Help>Other products>Broadband>Take a speed test. At the “Start speed test” screen press the PLAY button on the remote, not the OK. This will give you your actual download/upload at the box location.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos
welshlad46
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

so I have done the speed test on V6 downstairs and it is 84Mbps then 33Mbps and 42s. 

That would be fine to run it ? Also if it was needed to go on to the 5G how would this be done? 

Its strange that it all was working fine but when I recently have gone to use this facility it is coming up with this code. I have a powerline which I could run to the downstairs box but I don't have one spare for upstairs

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The problem with 2.4Ghz is although it penetrates walls well, so do all your neighbours hubs. If they are using the same WiFi channel then your hub has to “negotiate” with theirs as to when it can send information packets to devices. The busier the channel becomes the slower the connection, so it can vary from minute to minute. 5 GHz does not penetrate walls so well, so less interference, but a weaker signal.

This is where it gets complicated. The hubs default settings use the same WiFi name for both bands, so to force the V6 onto 5Ghz you need to sign into your hub & change the names (SSIDs) so you can specifically tell a device which connection to use.

Sign into your hub from your browser using 192.168.0.1. Preferably use a wired connection as doing this will disrupt your WiFi. You will need the ADMIN password from the base of the hub. This is a one time password you will have to alter before you proceed. Go to the advanced section, wireless, security. Change the SSID of the 5Ghz channel by adding -5G on the end of the name. The passwords can remain the same. Click apply at the bottom of the page, then you can log out. This will force all devices onto 2.4Ghz. Then simply choose which devices you want on 5Ghz & go into their WiFi settings selecting the network with the name you just changed.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos