cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 boxes drops or won't connect to wifi

KingRolo
Joining in

I've had this problem on and off for a few months now.  I've reset the box and it's not solved it.

It doesn't make any difference what power mode the box is in.

So basically when I turn it on it attempts to connect to the WiFi, sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't.  Last night the WiFi dropped during an iplayer show which was annoying. As mentioned in the other power mode it should stay connected all the time for sharing purposes but it doesn't. When it drops it won't find any networks at all.

Router has been restarted numerous times.

The only thing that solves it usually is a power off/on however more than once it's required a full reset as it simply won't find any WiFi at all and has to be set back to factory.

Anyone got any suggestions? 

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Firstly you've not said what the actual problem you're having is, but it sounds like VoD & streaming is dropping. I'm further assuming that an Ethernet cable connection from your hub to the V6 isn't practical for whatever reason.

First thing to check on a V6 - the WiFi signal strength. Follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, and look in the top-right. What does it report?

Second thing to check - do other WiFi-devices (laptops, phones, tablets) get good WiFi signal in the same location as your V6?

There is no difference to how WiFi-connections are handled, between the different power-saving modes.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi thanks for replying. Basically the WiFi drops for seemingly no reason, either on startup (doesn't connect) or during use of a vod program and you get two red icons on the front of the box. This means no vod and no viewing recordings from the front room box.

Signal states 42% which while not full should be sufficient.

No network cable is not practical.

WiFi is fine, work computer is about 3 foot away and never drops out.

With regards to the WiFi connection comment if it's in eco low power then the WiFi is tuned off, that's what this box does anyway.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@KingRolo wrote:

Signal states 42% which while not full should be sufficient.

Maybe it should be sufficient, maybe it shouldn't - but I strongly suspect that's the root of the issue. I've dealt with many cases on here of dropped connections where the signal strength was around the ~40s and once improved to mid-50's plus, the problem went away.

Which brings us neatly onto your WiFi which, at the very least, needs to be checked. My VM homehub is in modem mode and I use my own router, so I have limited direct experience of the SH WiFi settings, but....

In your V6 menus where it shows the signal strength, it should show whether it's connected on 2.4 or 5Ghz. The VM hubs use one SSID across both bands and "seamlessly" roam between them. Sometimes, splitting the SSID's out between the 2 bands can help - but check which bands the various bits of kit are using. It may well be that other kit is using 2.4Ghz and your V6 is trying to use 5.

Edited to add that yes, you're right about network connectivity being disabled in Eco low-power mode. I usually associate that with the box being off and TV Control app not working. But anytime the box is on, that should be irrelevant.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks again, I'll see if I can try a homeplug although I don't find those to be very reliable.

My router is in modem mode too, and I've got separate SSID for 2.4 and 5ghz.  The box is definitely connected to the 5ghz SSID.

For me it's weird it just drops, I'd either expect a flakey signal or a stable one. Maybe one of the neighbours is doing something that knocks it out. I might try changing the 5ghz channel and see what that does.

Yeah completely agree about when the box is on but it still drops and then won't find any WiFi networks at all until I turn the box off (switch at the back)

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

We're veering into WiFi advice here, which is better placed in the WiFi board , but have you tried using something like InSSIder (https://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/ ) to check for WiFi co-channel interference?

Also worth experimenting with your V6 using 2.4Ghz to see if that improves. Generally more congested, but may ultimately give you the edge with reliability if the RX level is better.

Noted and thanks. Still think there's a problem with the box as it never used to do this but I'll give some thought to testing