Menu
colinba
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

V6 box will not connect to a second V6 box

Hi, I have 2 V6 boxes both working just fine from a TV perspective, but I'm not able to connect to the other V6 box to get a list of recordings to watch, its the same from both boxes

I am NOT using the V6 box as the router, its in Modem mode and I have a separate Netgear wifi router with the house fully cabled in cat5e, using Netgear switch's to create the network, to which the V6 boxes are plugged into.

Both are on the same 192.168.0.0 /24 network and have been assigned valid IP addresses, gateway and DNS, but cannot be 'pinged', but this is probably because they are blocked to ICMP messages.

From the Virgin media http://manage-virgintvgo.virginmedia.com/ webpage I can see both boxes and get info on the series link recordings from both boxes. But the copy from one box appears to work but it does not copy, not sure if that is related, but that's not such an issue.

The connection did work, but not reliably when I had a V6 and a Tivo box, but since the Tivo was replaced with a V6, (as it went faulty) it just does not connect.

Anyone have any ideas how to resolve?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V6 box will not connect to a second V6 box

The "copy series link" functionality has been broken for many months now, so that's perfectly "normal".

When you say both boxes work ok from a TV perspective, does that include watching OnDemand from both boxes ok?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
mjpartyboy
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

We've gone from a V6 and TiVo setup, where we could watch each box's recordings on the other without any issues, to two V6 boxes, but this feature does not work consistently between the two V6 boxes.

It hasn't worked for a week or two, then today I noticed the upstairs V6 was showing on the downstairs one, so I thought I would try it again and instead of the usual error, it actually worked this time. No changes have been made to the boxes or home network.

SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node
0 Kudos
colinba
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes the V6 boxes work just fine for live TV, recordings and play back and watching on demand, its just the connection to the other V6 box that fails when trying to view recordings on on the other box, and its the same from both V6 boxes.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Are you able to view the other box's recordings, but get an error when trying to stream them? If so, what's the error?

Or are you not able to view either box?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
colinba
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It does not connect, I hit to connected and the cursor just spins for the 30 second timeout period and then goes back to the menu, Ok, Try again etc. try again has the same result.

0 Kudos
colinba
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Like the post above it just started working but slightly different, only from the lounge to the kitchen but not from the kitchen to the lounge! Perhaps in another 2 weeks that will start working too! seems a rather flaky protocol...

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Try turning both boxes off at the same, then when you turn them back on they should search for each other again

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

0 Kudos
mjpartyboy
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I tried powering down both my V6 boxes for a while when I discovered this issue between them and it made no difference for me. Worth a go though, as you never know.

One thing that worth's checking on both boxes is Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Devices > Network Remote Control. The description doesn't say to enable it to allow TiVo boxes to communicate with each other, but the way it reads, I though it was worth enabling just in case. However, despite this being disabled on one of the boxes when I was fault finding my issue, it didn't fix it after I enabled it.

SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node
0 Kudos