Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

V6 box stuck in a welcome screen loop

I had to unplug my V6 box for a bit while some work was being done, and since trying to use it again, it's stuck in a loop of Welcome screen / starting up / occasionally a symbol of a box with an arrow pointing down to it from above.  All connections are secure, I've rebooted it many times, checked service status online, etc.  I've seen many others mention this issue, but not clear how any of them were resolved.  Does anyone know?  Trying to get through on the phone, but not holding out much hope with that in these times.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 box stuck in a welcome screen loop

Hi JS7C

That error message can usually pop up due to the white cable not been plugged in.

Can you check and trace if the cable is plugged in at back of V6 and the box on the wall (if a splitter is present, that will need to be connected too)?

——————————————————
I work for Virgin Media, but all my options are my own.

REFER A FRIEND AND SHARE £100 BETWEEN YOU
**************ASK ME HOW***************
***************SEND A PM****************

If you found this information useful or please click thumbs up on Kudos icon and marking as a helpful answer.
THANK YOU ?
——————————————————
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the speedy response.

All cables securely plugged in though I'm afraid.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@JS7C wrote:

I had to unplug my V6 box for a bit while some work was being done, and since trying to use it again, it's stuck in a loop of Welcome screen / starting up / occasionally a symbol of a box with an arrow pointing down to it from above.  All connections are secure, I've rebooted it many times, checked service status online, etc.  I've seen many others mention this issue, but not clear how any of them were resolved.  Does anyone know?  Trying to get through on the phone, but not holding out much hope with that in these times.

How long is "for a bit" - a few days? Weeks? Months? If it was longer than a month, then there's a distinct chance your box has been deactivated - which can only be rectified by calling VM.

The symptoms you describe are of a failed boot sequence, which will either need the S/W download to be re-attempted, or the box replaced. You can try switching the box off for 10minutes and then retrying (might just get the S/W download to work), but it's a long shot.

Call faults - they are open, busy at times, but open. Don't get tempted by the numerous "diagnostics" the IVR might offer you, and be patient for a faults agent to answer.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me.

'A bit' isn't very helpful, is it 😂  The box was off for a few hours.

I managed to get through on the fault line in the end.  They couldn't find anything wrong, said it was all online, had me turn the V6 and hub off and on again, etc.  They've passed it to a different team now - said I should expect a call back in a few hours.

Cheers, Jim.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The call I was told to expect didn't materialize.  Looks like hours more phone queuing ahead...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately, this happens far too often and only materialises very rarely.

If your box is refusing to boot up, the correct answer is to arrange a box replacement or engineer visit. If they won't do this, please post back on this thread 😉

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Will do.  Cheers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to everyone for your help.  I was sent out a replacement box, so now have a working TV service again.  Can't say I was too impressed with the kit that arrived though.  Presumably it was a refurbished box, but it didn't come with a remote or power supply, and there was no instruction about how to pair up a remote with the box if that remote had already been paired with another.  A bit poor.  Cheers, Jim.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The only box-swap I've had in many years has been changing from TiVo > V6 so I'm not sure what should normally come in replacement kit, but if it's just the box that's faulty, the power supply and remote will work just as well with the new box as the old one. Probably safer to leave the PSU, too.

Pairing the remote, that's a fair point although there's a help section in the menu I'm sure.

0 Kudos