Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

V6 box stopped working with new sony tv

We got a new sony bravia tv, everything was working fine but now we have no picture and sound. Have rebooted both, changed input connection ports. I tried the v6 box and hdmi cable on another tv and it worked fine so not sure of issue. 

I watch the inbuilt channels on tv so it's not the tv.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Superstar
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 box stopped working with new sony tv

Hi are you sure you are selecting the right input on the TV it will be the one the HDMI from the V6 is plugged into. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Yes I am sure. It stopped mid programme and now we are only getting intermittent sound. Have tried all 3 hdmi ports with no joy. Have rebooted the box and tv, tried various combinations of how they are powered up. Currys say it is not the tv as it will play Netflix etc from home screen on tv. Virgin are investigating. Have tried HDMI on other tv and it is working fine 🤷‍♀️

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can you elaborate on "Virgin are investigating" - does this mean you've called through to faults?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Yes I called through to faults and the girl who initially answered didn't know how to fix it so was raising it with the fault management team (maybe not right name) 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The inbuilt channels (freeview) and the TV's Netflix app are not coming through the HDMI ports (or the internal HDMI circuity of the TV) so Currys saying that the TV is not at fault because the other functions work is not necessarily the case because the fault could lie in the HDMI "system" of the TV.

Have you tried another external device (DVD, etc.) into the TV via HDMI to see if that works?

Keith

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I tried the hdmi in another TV and it worked fine. 🤷‍♀️

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Amandat8 wrote:

Hi,

I tried the hdmi in another TV and it worked fine. 🤷‍♀️

I mean try another device (not the V6) in your Sony TV (e.g. a Blu-ray player, DVD player, PlayStation, X Box, etc.)

If the other device also doesn't work in your Sony TV then that would point to a problem in the HDMI functionality of your TV.

If the other device does work then it would point to a setup/config/compatibility/handshaking issue between your V6 and Sony TV (given that the V6 works with a different TV and the Sony TV works with a different device).

Keith

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I misread your previous message. 

I have since tried our xbox on TV through same hdmi and it worked fine until the TV asked if I wanted to try the games in 4k. I pressed yes and the screen went blank and TV said there was no input. 

I also preformed a factory reset on TV, this also didn't work.

My assumption now is that it may be the hdmi but curious as to why it worked for a few days and then stopped and why it works on another TV. 

Cable isdown through wall and new flooring, edging just been laid so hoping there is another fix rather than having to remove skirting board etc. 

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Amandat8,

It basically boils to needing an HDMI2.2 compatable cable to watch anything in 4K or play 4K games on your xbox,  or if you have the correct cable then to make sure it's plugged into the correct HDMI2.2 port on the TV.

Try swapping your current HDMI cables for both the V6 and xbox into the different ports on your TV, (test the xbox in 4K gaming mode).

Also try swapping your HDMI cables

virgin-tv-watching-4k-ultra-hd-content explains why the newer cable is necessary.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos