Menu
Bitterman
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

V6 box shows purple and green picture

Ever since I first got my V6 box a few weeks ago, every time I come back to watch TV after time away, when I turn on the TV, the Virgin picture is purple and green. This can only be fixed by putting the V6 box into standby then back on; or, unplugging then re-plugging the HDMI cable.

PXL_20210304_154938622._exported_943_1614874059306.jpg

Colours that should be blue are green, and everything else is some shade of purple.

The fault is definitely NOT with the TV. Switching the TV to other sources is fine. It's also the same TV I used with my previous Virgin TiVo box for years. It supports resolutions up to and including 1080p and has never had compatibility issues.

The fault is definitely NOT with the HDMI cable. Using a different cable doesn't solve the problem - and this cable was the same one I used with my previous Virgin TiVo box for years.

The fault is DEFINITELY with the box. Going into standby and out again, or unplugging and re-plugging, fixes the problem. Doing this every single time I sit down to watch TV is not acceptable.

I tried to work around this by using auto-standby, figuring that I could just turn on from standby every time I used it (even though that would mean I couldn't record, rewind if I'd missed the start of the problem, etc.). But when I did this, when I turned on from standby, the picture was still purple - and still purple even after going back into standby and out again - that time, the only way to get a normal picture back was to fully power down the box and start up again!

The main thread I've found about something similar is this one (marked as Resolved, but it wasn't resolved, and many others posted on the same thread without getting a response, most of them deciding to cancel their Virgin contract instead by the looks of things: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/Purple-Green-picture-V6-box/td-p/3747655

Please advise how to fix, or else send me a replacement box that works.

newapollo
Hero
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 box shows purple and green picture

Purple/green pictures are usually due to either a faulty HDMI  cable or port.

Try different cables an ports, making sure you reboot the equipment each time so they can talk to each other and recognise the change.

Also although it can be a bit of a nuisance try setting the V6 up with a different TV. If you still get the same issue it looks like the V6 HDMI port is the problem and you would need to contact Fault on 150 from a Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111, options 1,1 and 2 (Faultsbut best to call at 8am, or around tea time to avoid call queues as it will probably need an engineer visit.

When calling Faults you will get the automated response asking you to press 1 for the link to online support, perform tests, reboot etc. Ignore the options and don't press any buttons then you should be placed into a queue and an agent should pick up the phone and resolve the problem.

You could also try the text messaging service. Just send  a text with a description of TV Faults to 07533 051809. Your message will go into a queue and a representative will respond to you as soon as possible. It may take a few days. 

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm just a normal customer here to share my knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Had to ponder on this, your troubleshooting is quite comprehensive...

@Bitterman wrote:

Ever since I first got my V6 box a few weeks ago, every time I come back to watch TV after time away, when I turn on the TV, the Virgin picture is purple and green.

The fault is definitely NOT with the TV. Switching the TV to other sources is fine. It's also the same TV I used with my previous Virgin TiVo box for years. It supports resolutions up to and including 1080p and has never had compatibility issues.

Have you tried swapping the HDMI cables around? So other HDMI sockets used by your other AV kit is fine - but have you tried using your V6 connected to a port currently used by something else?

It sounds like you've ruled out most except for individual HDMI ports.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
deans6571
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@Bitterman wrote:

Ever since I first got my V6 box a few weeks ago, every time I come back to watch TV after time away, when I turn on the TV, the Virgin picture is purple and green. This can only be fixed by putting the V6 box into standby then back on; or, unplugging then re-plugging the HDMI cable.

PXL_20210304_154938622._exported_943_1614874059306.jpg

Colours that should be blue are green, and everything else is some shade of purple.

The fault is definitely NOT with the HDMI cable. Using a different cable doesn't solve the problem - and this cable was the same one I used with my previous Virgin TiVo box for years.

The fault is DEFINITELY with the box. Going into standby and out again, or unplugging and re-plugging, fixes the problem. Doing this every single time I sit down to watch TV is not acceptable.

I tried to work around this by using auto-standby, figuring that I could just turn on from standby every time I used it (even though that would mean I couldn't record, rewind if I'd missed the start of the problem, etc.). But when I did this, when I turned on from standby, the picture was still purple - and still purple even after going back into standby and out again - that time, the only way to get a normal picture back was to fully power down the box and start up again!

The main thread I've found about something similar is this one (marked as Resolved, but it wasn't resolved, and many others posted on the same thread without getting a response, most of them deciding to cancel their Virgin contract instead by the looks of things: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/Purple-Green-picture-V6-box/td-p/3747655

Please advise how to fix, or else send me a replacement box that works.

....apologies for being off topic but have to give you Kudos for your old skool retro Xbox 360.

👍🏼

Tuning in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@newapollo wrote:

Purple/green pictures are usually due to either a faulty HDMI  cable or port.

Try different cables an ports, making sure you reboot the equipment each time so they can talk to each other and recognise the change.

(japitts made the same suggestion). That seems quite unlikely, given that this same TV, same port, and same cable worked fine with my old TiVo box for years. Nevertheless - I tried it, so as to make sure; today I find that it still has the same problem, with a different cable in a different port. I'm pretty confident I've ruled out everything but the V6 box itself.

Isn't this place frequented by Virgin support staff? That's what I'm told when I try to make contact with them ANY OTHER WAY - "use the forum, someone from support will respond". They never do, though, which makes it seem more like a way to fob people off than actually help anyone. I pretty clearly need a replacement V6 box, which (thanks to you guys for your responses, but) a volunteer is not able to arrange. Anyone from Virgin here want to actually help your customers?

@deans6571 wrote:
....apologies for being off topic but have to give you Kudos for your old skool retro Xbox 360.

Old school??? Retro???? 😫 Am I that old?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

If you want an immediate response, you are best to call in. This forum is not a real-time support service.

Forum staff are currently responding to poss with a delay of 4 or so days, although this can vary. Every time a post is responded to, this can delay their response.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Did you try connecting the V6 to a different TV as I suggested to confirm it's the V6 HDMI fault?

Also although it can be a bit of a nuisance try setting the V6 up with a different TV. If you still get the same issue it looks like the V6 HDMI port is the problem and you would need to contact Fault on 150 from a Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111, options 1,1 and 2 (Faultsbut best to call at 8am, or around tea time to avoid call queues as it will probably need an engineer visit

VM Forum Staff may pick this up for you, but it can take between a few days and a week. the quickest route is to phone Faults and describe the problem and what you have tried to rectify the issue..

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm just a normal customer here to share my knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Bitterman
Tuning in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@newapollo wrote:

Did you try connecting the V6 to a different TV as I suggested to confirm it's the V6 HDMI fault?

I don't even own another TV - and it wouldn't help if I did, as the box has to work with this TV (as two games consoles, a laptop, and my old TiVo box already do / did. It's not the TV at fault).

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi as you say the HDMI cable is the one you have had years, with the V6 you should be using a 4K high speed HDMI cable even if you don't have a 4K TV that may solve your problem. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Wilts
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Had this for last couple of years with my old TV, when it switched itself off into standby. I'd return to the room, realising it had switched itself off. Turned it back on and same colours as described.

Faulty hdmi cable. Pulled it out, put it straight back in and problem solved.....until the next time. Prob loose wires in the cable connection. Just buy a new cable.

0 Kudos