Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

V6 box requires daily reboot to get on demand services working

We have just had a brand new V6 box installed, having just moved from the old TiVo which is great.... however I am having to restart the box daily to get on demand to actually play anything - menus are all there and I am able to click around on movies etc, but when I click play I either get an error or black screen. I thought it was a Netflix issue so phoned them, and they told me to reboot. But it isn't, it is all on demand, Prime, YouTube, BBC iPlayer, 5 etc... I need to restart the box to get them to work.

Normal TV works fine and no problem, I can record etc etc and all of the channels are present, it's just the on demand through the app section which is playing up.

I am hard wired via ethernet, so something is up and I am wondering if there is a fix or setting for this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 box requires daily reboot to get on demand services working

I'm just pushing this one up again in the hope VM will get back to me with a response, having read the forums this does seem to be quite a common issue and I would like a resolve.

Just to confirm the Netflix error it is: tvq-pb-101 (5.2.12) I can browse etc etc but won't play unless I reboot (daily!!). And Amazon Prime is black screen and spinning circle, again I can browse etc etc.

Oddly the other on demand (4, 5, iPlayer etc) now appear to be working, whereas originally when Netflix and Primer would not work, nothing would which would vary from from a black screen no sound, to nothing. Connection via ethernet, speed checks always 120mbps and I have tried wireless. 

A reboot will fix the problem for one or two days.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I believe this is a problem with the HDCP (copy protection) handshake that occurs down the HDMI lead to your tv.
What make and model of TV do you have? Is it UHD?

You can try...

1. Ensure you TV software is up-to-date (should be a menu option on the tv for that)
2. Ensure you only use the high speed HDMI cable that should have come with the V6 (has a label on it)
3. Try different settings for the video output on the V6. 2160p & 2160p (24,25 & 30fps) & 1080p & 1080p passthrough
4. Re-boot the V6 after those changes.

When UHD was introduced a new 'improved' version of HDCP was implemented that is more difficult to crack and thus is less forgiving should things go wrong during this handshake.

BTW, when it does play you may see that your TV switches format. Netflix quite commonly use native 24fps for films and with the passthrough options selected the TV will show these properly at that frame rate.
Without passthrough the V6 has to change the format from 24 to 50fps and this is done by duplicating a frame every 25th second. Makes the video stutter.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Many thanks for the response. I can conform that the TV is as up-to-date as it can be as I check this weekly, and there was one a few weeks ago. The TV is a Samsung QE55Q90R and QLED HDR 2000 4K UHD.

The HDMI cable did not get replaced when the engineer came out the other week and installed the V6 box, and so it is still the same one that was used with the TiVo, which never caused issues. I am quite particular about cables and don't get the £1.99 ones from Ebay, but something half decent from a reliable source. I will however look for the cable that came with our second TiVo as that maybe slightly newer.

I will have a look at video output and passthrough options like you say.

Do you know why a reboot of the box will always rectify the issue for a day or two until the problem returns? - The other day it was actually working without a reboot, so it's hard to find a pattern.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@jaybe wrote:

Hi

Many thanks for the response. I can conform that the TV is as up-to-date as it can be as I check this weekly, and there was one a few weeks ago. The TV is a Samsung QE55Q90R and QLED HDR 2000 4K UHD.

The HDMI cable did not get replaced when the engineer came out the other week and installed the V6 box, and so it is still the same one that was used with the TiVo, which never caused issues. I am quite particular about cables and don't get the £1.99 ones from Ebay, but something half decent from a reliable source. I will however look for the cable that came with our second TiVo as that maybe slightly newer.

Do you know why a reboot of the box will always rectify the issue for a day or two until the problem returns? - The other day it was actually working without a reboot, so it's hard to find a pattern.

Thanks

I would definitely consider the HDMI cable as (AFAIK) the old TiVo was not UHD capable so wouldn't have been using the newer HDCP version.
If you research HDMI cables there are some significant differences when you come to UHD.

Why a reboot of the box seems to work is a bit of a mystery. I assume you have the video output settings on auto so this may have something to do with it.
BTW, do you have any live UHD content you can try from the V6? (BT Sports UHD)?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi jaybe,

The TV boxes, hubs and computers, even smart phones contain mini computers. All have tiny operating systems and software that can be subject to the same issues that your computer has such as memory becoming corrupt, processes not shutting down. 

When you reboot your computer, or set top box, hub etc every single program and process ends as the power leaves the device during the restart process. Once your device starts back up, you have a clean slate and, usually, a faster, better working device.

If you need to restart too frequently then the device may be failing.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Eeeps wrote:

@jaybe wrote:

Hi

Thanks

I would definitely consider the HDMI cable as (AFAIK) the old TiVo was not UHD capable so wouldn't have been using the newer HDCP version.
If you research HDMI cables there are some significant differences when you come to UHD.

Why a reboot of the box seems to work is a bit of a mystery. I assume you have the video output settings on auto so this may have something to do with it.
BTW, do you have any live UHD content you can try from the V6? (BT Sports UHD)?

Yes the HDMI cable we are using is the new one we got with the TiVo for upstairs earlier this year - I made sure the TV downstairs was using the latest cable, and funnily enough I did read up about HDMI cables and aware of the different versions so to speak, the older one I just found in the draw.

Yes we have BT Ultra and I have played that without issue, and also when Netflix is working from the V6 I have played some 4k content, and pressed information to get the stream rate displayed top right of the screen, and the value is 2160 which I believe is 4k and it displayed without any issue (when it actually works).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Just to keep this thread updated - VM have contacted me and said the only way to move it forward is for an engineer to come out, which will be the third visit in about six weeks for various issues relating to the TiVo which the V6 finally replaced.

I was reluctant as there is no guarantee the fault will be present on the day, and as I rebooted yesterday it was working, so I will just make sure I have some photos and video of the issues being experienced. I really I want to find out what the other people on this forum have had done to fix this issue.

I did try the pass through setting, but it was doing some really strange things such as the TV would completely loose connection to the box (as if the box had turned off) while it started playing something from Netflix. It just seems smoother without pass through, but maybe I didn't give it enough time so will give another go.

Also, possibly related to this 66 page thread:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/Video-Output-Settings/td-p/3301147

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I can confirm pass through made no difference, issue returns after less than 24 hours with setting applied. Error code on Netflix and black screen/spinning circle on Prime.

Engineer coming next week, although I don’t know what magic they will be able to apply, it seems more an issue with the firmware on the box and something the engineer cannot fix.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Engineer came on Tuesday and replaced the box, issue returned the following day.

Problem remains and nothing whatsoever seems to be able to fix thIs rather annoying issue. I am also seeing an increasing number of posts on here with people having the exact same problem.

0 Kudos