cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 box rebooting while watching on demand

mark_a_carpente
Dialled in

Ok so it's done this twice now, while watching on demand programs the V6 box picture freezes then it reboots which seems to take an age. Ironically both happened about the same time 5pm on Sunday and when I was fast forwarding the adverts. Happened on 2 different channels programs one was Yesterday and the other one Sky Max. I have had it stop before then come up with an error message like " On demand is temporarily unavailable " and it goes back to the main menu but not these 2 times. When you stop the program you can go back to the menu and scroll through etc but as soon as you start trying to watch something either on demand or pressing TV to go back to normal TV you get the same stuck picture and the box reboots

Incidentally has anybody else noticed how intrusive the on demand adverts have gotten ? used to be you would get a few minutes at the beginning and maybe once or twice during the program but now you seem to get them all the time and at ridiculously high volume, and trying to fast forward them is a nightmare as you have no idea how many there will be or how long they last and you can't see them like you do on recordings so you have to guess where to press play

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VoD adverts do tend to vary between different broadcasters, I've found. C4 are pretty good, but Sky seem to be creeping up gently.

As for the rebooting box - any TV box that's restarting more than occasionally & overnight, has a fault. And if you can replicate it, all the more so!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

roy247
Community elder

Hi mark,

It might be worth trying a different ethernet cable or different port on your hub as on demand is network sourced, a new cable apparently fixed something similar for a 360 user.

If that doesn't work then stick with japitts advice as your box probably is faulty and a call to Virgin is required.

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey mark_a_carpente, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry you are having some issues with your on-demand services.

Please can you let me know if you have rebooted the box and tried different cables if possible?

Also is it doing this on every show you watch or it just hit and miss?

Adverts are different for each show.

Please do let me know. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

mark_a_carpente
Dialled in

Have had the same problem myself. I doubt it's a cable issue as I had that before and it would come up with an error message about on demand being temporarily not available and go back to normal TV which was a problem with the network cable. Now it just locks up and reboots with no error messages

No need to reboot the box it does that on it's own which is the whole point of my asking

Nothing wrong with the network cable as the V6 box will show a light on the front of it telling you it's lost connection which I have had before and it does if you unplug it from the router, and I have no trouble with iPlayer which is also dependant on the network connection, and as I have said before when this happened previously you would get an "on demand is temporarily not available" error message appear and it would go back to normal TV and not just have the same stuck picture and reboot like is happening now. If the COAX cable was the problem you would get other issues and would be happening more frequently. This is totally random and has only happened twice on 2 different programs one Sky Max and one on Yesterday which is UKTV play and you can not just make it happen whenever you want. It's like some sort of software change has caused instability somewhere and the fact that I am not the only one who has had this happen would make me think that's more likely than anything hardware related

Thank you for getting back to us @mark_a_carpente.

To rule out any cable issues, are you able to try an alternative ethernet cable and let us know if the issue occurs again?

Are you also able to try a hard reset on the TV box as seen here? https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-restart-or-reset-your-box#tab2

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs