Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

V6 box planned introduction.

I now have box delivered.

I have a cable comes in downstairs into rear of existing TiVo box.

Hub 3 is upstairs in study connected to another cable that comes in from a different place so I guess there is a splitter somewhere.

My understanding is that best to connect Hub to v6 by Ethernet cable rather than Wi-Fi or powerline extender.

To avoid relying on Wi-Fi could I move Hub downstairs? Which would leave upstairs reliant on Wi-Fi?

OR ..... could I use another router ( purchase myself) to avoid this issue.

Any guidance welcome.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 box planned introduction.

Hello

Mine works fine wirelessly I have my hub upstairs and v6 is downstairs no issues at all. Never had a problem.

Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hello Wyke

Thanks for your post 

Have you managed to get things set up now 

If you do need help please let me know. I would be very interested to see how you are getting on

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your support.

With your advice I plan to have a go later in the week.

I am trying to figure out how to move a power line extender to be closer to tv and use the ethernet cable to plug in base.

What kind of speed should I have for it to work reliably.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

forgot to ask about signal speed .

Upstairs near router get 120 Mb/s then downstairs near tv get 85 ....so not sure if power line extender is working!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Wyke,

In my personal set up at home I get roughly 37mb download in my bedroom have no issues with the connection on the set top box via Wi-Fi.

If you wanted to see if the power line extender is working it might be worth trying to connect a different device to the extender using an Ethernet connection and then running a speed test, with this you should get the maximum speed that you subscribe to

Are you able to use features that require the broadband connection such as Netflix and YouTube etc..?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

sorry about delay ..took me ages to work out if TP link AV device was working and how to reset ...it was still connected to old router name. The utility and instructions I found very confusing as no clear instructions. Now have extender downstairs near TV and speed test shows 80 when wired and only 35 / 40 through wifi. Not sure if have Netflix or youtube ...how do I work that out please  ?

I guess my next step is to set up V6 when I get a few hours.

I have to make a call first ...and then sort box immediately ? if not to be left without TV ....so I want to be sure it works first time .

Anyone know how long it takes ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Forgot to mention ...I am a silver surfer ...so sorry to be so slow !

Thanks again 

Wake

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

There isn't usually a problem. Call to activate the V6, connect it to the coaxial cable using the IEC connector and plug in the Ethernet cable. You can use the existing HDMI cable for the TV connection. It may take a few minutes to download and install any software upgrades and the EPG. Once it's working you'll find the apps such as Netflix and Prime Video (require subscriptions) and YouTube.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again for your support and encouragement. What is IEC connector and what does EPG mean .

It looks like the screenshot is of something to measure speed ....? ....is it permanently connected or do you attach now and then ?

Wyke 

0 Kudos