Menu
AdmiralKane
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

V6 box not working in the morning

I'm wondering if anyone had encountered the following problem: the  V6 box, even when switched on (ie not in standby) won’t work for about 30-60 minutes and then suddenly kicks in and starts working. This usually happens in the morning when we first switch on the TV. Then for the rest of the day it is usually fine, though sometime the screen just goes blank for a few minutes and then comes back

In the morning when it’s not working the following message appears on screen:

No Signal
(1) Check the Cable connections and the settings of your device.
(2) Press Source on you remote control to select the connected source device.

There are no error codes.

I’ve checked the cable connections and the connections between TV, router and WIFI and I’ve checked the Source. All as it should be.

I’ve spoken to Virgin…
First time they checked the system from their end and said the box seemed to be working fine.
They told me to change the standby settings so the box stayed permanently on ie to stop it slipping into standby automatically.
I did that but it didn’t help.

I rang them again to request an engineer.
An engineer came out - he said he’d order us a new box. He said he thought it might be something to do with the picture ratio aspect and said he’d do a temporary fix while he was there. He changed the aspect ratio. It hasn’t worked. I don’t have much faith in him as when he arrived he seemed to think he’d been called out about a broadband problem. He was also rushed. We’re still waiting for the new box (2 days late now)
In the mean time I swapped the box we have for a second box we were given at the time of installation - to be used with another TV - the same problem is happening.
I have checked the aspect ratio of the TV and the Virgin box and they match.
I don’t think it’s the an issue with the TV because the problem only started a a couple of weeks ago. Also the V6 box does work, it just doesn’t work if it’s not been used for a period eg over night. Could it be a problem with the Virgin signal to the box or something like that?

Before I get back in touch with Virgin for a 3rd time - I thought I’d see if someone here might have encountered this problem. 

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 box not working in the morning

@AdmiralKane wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone had encountered the following problem: the  V6 box, even when switched on (ie not in standby) won’t work for about 30-60 minutes and then suddenly kicks in and starts working. This usually happens in the morning when we first switch on the TV. Then for the rest of the day it is usually fine, though sometime the screen just goes blank for a few minutes and then comes back

What power saving ssettings do you have?

Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Devices > Power saving

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
AdmiralKane
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for replying. The power setting is ‘always on’. 
After my first conversation with Virgin they asked me to set it to that (it had been set to ‘eco low power’. I guess they thought the problem might have been linked to eco mode or low power mode. But even when set to ‘always on’ the problem remained. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Does changing the power saving make any difference?

Although re-reading your first post, are you sure the "No signal" isn't being generated by your TV? That's not an error message that a TiVo or V6 produces, and I suspect this could be your TV "forgetting" the STB's input.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
AdmiralKane
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Changing the power saving hasn’t made a difference  I’m not sure if the "No signal" is being generated by the TV. Is there a way to find out?
Your knowledge indicates that it could well be the TV. If it is a case of the TV "forgetting" the STB's input is there anything I can do to make it remember? Is that ‘forgetting’ likely to be a problem with the TV or the V6 do you think? 

0 Kudos