Menu
blueboy0461
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

V6 box noisy

I've just received a new V6 box to replace my old faulty Tivo box - trouble is the box 'hums' constantly - even when on standby.

Had it up on running for about 6 hours now and its driving me made - is this normal?

My previous Tivo box was almost silent - about from the occasional noises when it was downloading etc - but this humming is constant - even when not in use.

I can see previous posts about putting it in cupboard - but I don't have one close enough to use.

Just wondering if this is normal.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V6 box noisy

Well done getting your TiVo swapped for a V6, good result 🙂

A low-level hum is quite likely the HDD spinning, and is perfectly normal. Hard to describe how loud it should be, but certainly not off-putting by any stretch.

What're your power-saving options set to? Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Devices > Power saving.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
blueboy0461
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response japitts - the power setting is set to eco low power - I changed it to connected low power - but not sure that did anything!

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The difference between the 2 is that if you want to access your V6 remotely using "TV Control" app, then if it's in standby it needs to be "connected" lower-power to work.

I'd like to hope that if your box is in standby, the only reason for the HDD being on would be either recording something, running an EPG update, or someone's using the TV Control app to connect to it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
blueboy0461
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks japitts - Its only me in the house - so nothing is connected to the box yet and their aren't any recordings yet - I am trying to transfer all the series links from the old box - but that doesn't seem to be working. The 'humming' is very noticeable even with the volume up higher than normal - so I'm guessing it some kind of fault. Thanks for your help anyway.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@blueboy0461 wrote:

I am trying to transfer all the series links from the old box - but that doesn't seem to be working.

Sorry to say, that's a known issue. It's been broken for many months now, and doesn't currently work.

0 Kudos