cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 box losing password

jenfamily1
Dialled in

As if I haven’t had enough problems recently!

For no reason at all, at about 8pm last night we sat down to watch tv and I noticed on two of the three V6 boxes we have, two red lights were illuminated indicating no connection to the hub.I checked the Virgin phone number for any faults in our area and it said there were none.

Having had numerous issues before with ‘ dropping out’ at peak times and given it was late I’ d hoped by morning the box may have resolved itself.It hadn’t early this morning and so I began to wonder if I should try re-entering the password to the network although I was reluctant to do this as nothing should have needed this to be done. I hadn’t changed anything in our house to warrant this!

Frustrated at Virgin’s unreliability it seems, I decided that hopefully it couldn't do any harm and ‘ Hey presto’ it re- connected.

I’m very angry as to why this should have happened without any warning and lost sleep worrying about it last night!

I still have to check and probably will have to do the same in my son’s room later when he gets up.

This isn’t good enough Virgin!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jenfamily1
Dialled in

Hi Dave & thanks for such an informative reply.

Firstly I didn’t have an Ethernet cable attached to the 3rd box which hadn’t lost its signal

There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with your typing!

Thank you for the tip about renaming the network & WiFi to sync with the new hub and after I entered new passwords a friend told me just as you have. It’s a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted!

I did call the phone number which  you mentioned and is supposed to inform me of issues in my area and it said there weren’t any.I have been so unhappy about this latest issue that I eventually spoke to an agent in a noisy call centre abroad who eventually checked & said there were issues which may affect some equipment but as this is obviously the case and  if I didn’ t re -enter  the password as I did I’d have been without connectivity for the 48 hrs they said it would take to fix and only then after this I might have still had to re - enter the password.

I appreciate no Tv service can offer fault free service but I ‘ve had quite  a few  problems prior to the hub being changed and wouldn’t have expected whatever this fault to be kept in the ‘dark’ and my boxes lose memory of its password.There was no message with error code on screen that I recollect other than the standard ‘ no signal’ ‘ Ethernet cable not connected’

You have as Japitts has been helpful as usual but I still think aModerator will no doubt eVentually contact me & apologise but it’s getting increasingly difficult for me to get the help I need from Virgin.They no longer even have a direct phone number for faults & I don’t fare Well with text instructions more’s the pity.

Steve

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You mention the V6 reconnected itself without intervention, I presume you're referring to the wireless Hub connection.

Sounds as much an issue with the Hub as your V6, did any other devices have similar issues? You could always try swapping the V6 around your home to see if the connectivity problems follow.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jenfamily1
Dialled in

Yep!

Further to my post earlier this morning, I had to reset the password in the  V6 box belonging to my younger son .I was ( for unknown reasons ) spared having to do this for my elder son’s box.

Again, I emphasise no one in the house had changed or interfered with any of the equipment.

I am not a ‘tech’ person, far from it, and had I not previously & very recently needed an up to date hub ( because of all the drop outs ) and been left to my own devices to find someone who could show me how to change the password ( which in my previous 15 years with Virgin) I had never needed to change before., I would never have known how to do this let alone, guessing I might need to do it.

WHY did this happen? How do I know it won’t happen again?

Hi japitts & thanks for replying so promptly.

What I meant was ( sorry if I sounded convoluted ) the hub was working fine i.e the PC, ipad, my son's Google TV ( all of which contain the current password in order to connect to the internet.2 of the 3 V6 boxes were unable to connect to the hub ( therefore no catch up, no streaming from iplayer / ITVX etc.) because the two red lights on the face of the V6 box indicates this and when you check Help /  settings etc it says there is 'No signal' After the last Virgin technician called a few months ago with a 'revised' hub, I hadn't realised until he left that the 3 boxes showed these 2 red lights all evening & the following morning & I was completely unaware that I had to put the new password into each of the 3 boxes, the ipad, family phones etc. I struggled to do this but found a friend who showed me how to do it. There was no indication from Virgin when I called the 'outage' line that there were any problems in my area and so after awaking this morning to find the situation was the same I decided to try entering the current password to both boxes which did the 'trick' I however am not happy that something beyond my control has caused this. I spoke to someone at Virgin this morning who claimed there was a fault which was likely to affect some but not all of the equipment and that it wouldn't be fixed until 1pm tomorrow ( Fri 26th ).The thing is, there was no way of telling the fault was on Virgin's side & our family would have been without catch up / using TV apps for 48 hours and left wondering if we should have done something to rectify this ourselves. No, my issues are not as I've written before about losing connectivity due to the hub not being sited close enough to a V6 box. You and Apollo have helped by advising me to use a long ethernet cable. Hope all is clear now BUT SHOULD A MODERATOR BE READING MY /YOUR POSTS perhaps not so much keep apologising, but ensure these things don't keep happening

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Not entirely sure what the issue is here, if I'm honest.

VM's status line covers their services into your home - the co-ax connection points. The wireless connectivity between devices in your home is not something they have any direct control over.

@jenfamily1 wrote:

BUT SHOULD A MODERATOR BE READING MY /YOUR POSTS perhaps not so much keep apologising, but ensure these things don't keep happening

This is primarily a user-community forum, it's quite normal for the first responses to be from fellow users. Forum moderators' primary purpose is to silently monitor the forum to ensure house rules are being maintained, and posts that breach guidelines are switly dealt with.

If a particular thread exhausts peer-based support or is otherwise flagged by VIP users, then the staff forum team often respond - but they leave the vast majority of threads to community users in the first instance.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @jenfamily1 

Firstly, a quick tip which I've found useful about what to do when receiving a new hub. It's entirely up to yourself if you want to use this tip though.

When setting it up I change the network name and WiFi password to match that of my previous hub. I then don't have to go around and change those settings on all of my other devices. Saves me a lot of time, and headaches due to my many mistyping errors.

It the 3rd V6 box didn't lose connection it's possible that it was connected via ethernet cable, hence it didn't need the WiFi SSID (network name) and WiFi password re-entering.

There are a number of online help pages which can be useful when losing connection with the internet, or having probelms with TV set boxes.

The colour of the hubs lights often help to indicate the reason for internet connection problems, and these can be checked online along with possible solutions which you can try yourself (along with the online service checker which can sometimes diagnose and fix the fault)

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/virgin-media-wifi-not-working 

When there is a problem with the TV set top boxes there is usually an onscreen error message and code which can be checked online along with possible solutions:-

https://www.virginmedia.com/care/tv-error-code/which-error-code 

Neither VM or any other ISP/ TV / 'phone provider can guarantee a fault free service. They don't monitor each customers individual systems as that would be an intrusion of privacy, and therefore are unable to inform you directly of any issues to your equipment/cabling.

The online service checker doesn't populate to show faults until enough people contact VM to make them aware of any issue which may be affecting a wider range of people.

If nothing is showing  on the online service checker you could also try the automated Service Status number on 0800 561 0061.  This often gives details of more local issues down to postcode level.

I hope the above was useful, but please do post on the forums if you do have any further issues and we will do our best to help.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

jenfamily1
Dialled in

Hi Dave & thanks for such an informative reply.

Firstly I didn’t have an Ethernet cable attached to the 3rd box which hadn’t lost its signal

There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with your typing!

Thank you for the tip about renaming the network & WiFi to sync with the new hub and after I entered new passwords a friend told me just as you have. It’s a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted!

I did call the phone number which  you mentioned and is supposed to inform me of issues in my area and it said there weren’t any.I have been so unhappy about this latest issue that I eventually spoke to an agent in a noisy call centre abroad who eventually checked & said there were issues which may affect some equipment but as this is obviously the case and  if I didn’ t re -enter  the password as I did I’d have been without connectivity for the 48 hrs they said it would take to fix and only then after this I might have still had to re - enter the password.

I appreciate no Tv service can offer fault free service but I ‘ve had quite  a few  problems prior to the hub being changed and wouldn’t have expected whatever this fault to be kept in the ‘dark’ and my boxes lose memory of its password.There was no message with error code on screen that I recollect other than the standard ‘ no signal’ ‘ Ethernet cable not connected’

You have as Japitts has been helpful as usual but I still think aModerator will no doubt eVentually contact me & apologise but it’s getting increasingly difficult for me to get the help I need from Virgin.They no longer even have a direct phone number for faults & I don’t fare Well with text instructions more’s the pity.

Steve

Hi @jenfamily1 

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

Sorry to hear of the issue where WiFi Connection was lost on two of the V6's. I am glad this was sorted by re-entering the password. From what you have said, it does seem like a glitch and we can only apologise.

If you ever notice a fault, the first thing to check is the status page where you'd enter the postcode and surname of the account holder. Any known faults will be shown. If none, then you'd sign into the checker using your online account details and run the fault test. You can also call the service line on 0800 561 0061.

If you do wish to speak to the faults team via phone, you can do so on 150 / 0345 454 1111, option 2 for faults. Then option 1 for broadband, 2 for TV and 3 for the home phone service,

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John,

Sorry it's you that's getting the 'rough end' of my tongue and after this mail because everything's working again, you nor Virgin will be able to do anything to prevent this from happening again. The 'Glitch' you mention and also all the references to 'status page' 'checker' & finally the 'service line' Do NOT ADD up. The service line message said ' There were no faults in my area' I wanted to get the 'bottom' of why this 'glitch' as you put it happened and worry when left in the 'lurch' without my service. The 150 / 0345 etc Nos cant really help especially the options you mention because the message says it wants to send a text but I don't have a smart phone. I appreciate I'm in the minority and quite a lot of today's technology is beyond me and I have no-one in the household who understands any better. The only way I eventually got to speak to someone was getting through to LOYALTY  who transferred me to 'faults' That particular Indian gentleman in a very noisy call centre ( which due to wearing of hearing aids ) made it difficult for me to understand him and and wasn't confident he had any know how or answer to my question but eventually he ran a 'test' and said there was a fault which would be rectified 1pm on Friday 26th.Remember I had been sitting looking at two red lights on the box with no wifi connectivity from Wednesday 24th and still wonder had I have not used my hunch and entered the password to the boxes on Thursday, how would I have known if suddenly everything came back as normal on Friday...I doubt it! The truth is as mentioned above having been a loyal customer for 15 years, your automated service has left me behind and for the remainder of my newly arranged contract I'll no doubt struggle.

Regards

Stephen

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi jenfamily1, thanks for all the posts and replies. 

We're sorry to see you're not satisfied with the explanation given above and the experience and support you received previously in regard to this, we'd love to best try and explain things for you.

To start with, glitches are minor errors that cannot be predicted, however you can monitor this and if repeated often we'd need to know so we can investigate further where needed.

Regarding network faults, this is another problem that may affect your services - when an outage is present you may view info and updates on the service status page or the automated line 0800 561 0061.

When an area problem occurs, our page may take a while to get the info and updates, hence we do advise to check regularly for changes.

You can also register your email or mobile to get SMS updates on the page when an issue is present, so we let you know once it's fixed.

If you don't find any known problems on the network, any issues with your services should be reported individually as faults, however in your case when speaking to the team we found a service issue locally that had just come up.

Please, pop us a new message with an update as to how things look and if the service problems have cleared since or you still need our help?

We'll be happy to assist you.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs