cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 box keeps rebooting after screen only shows purple and green

julieannew
Joining in

Hi

My V6 box keeps rebooting just after it manages to get to the Welcome page. I came home last night to find a red light flashing on a cycle at the front of the box. I switched the box off and restarted it several times after it wouldn't budge from the Welcome screen and the continuous reboot. I phoned  VM (waste of time as usual for anything technical) and the automated soulless AI sent me a link. The link said both V6 boxes I had were not connecting- not true as I was watching one box but could get nothing with the other. I followed the instructions to 'fix' it (going round in circles) and still nothing. 

For the past few months my picture intermittently has only been showing purple and green colours on the screen. After a reboot this resolves itself, but it has been happening ever more frequently. After having a look at the community when it first happened it looked as though the box was on its way out.

I spoke to the call centre today to try and give them the background, but the problem with having a script led customer service is that unless it gives them a code on the screen (the box couldn't even get that far) all they're interested in is sending out an engineer. The box is done, it seems a waste of a technician for a box which is 5.5 years old.

With all this info, why can't VM just send another box like they did before, when my other box died? In the meantime between now and forever when I can get a technician, does anyone have any hints on how to resurrect the box so that it stays on for longer than 3 mins (normally 10-20secs)?

Thanks

J

3 REPLIES 3

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @julieannew 

A box that keeps rebooting does need a tech visit so they can physically check the box  and then replace it if they can't repair it. They will also check the signal levels/wiring at the same time. In the past a lot of equipment was swapped and returned when it would have been perfectly servicable if attended to by a tech.

If they do replace the box then the tech will take away the old equipment (saves it getting lost in transit, or the customer being charged for the box if it isn't returned)

Try the following, it's worked for some forum members. Turn off the V6 at switch;  then on the V6 box  hold down both the power button and the +button at the same time.

Then turn on the V6 again whilst keeping hold of those buttons for a further 30 seconds. The box should reboot, the power button will turn blue, and it should  reset and boot up normally

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks, this was a lot more useful than the call to VM. It worked once, the box was ok for about half an hour and now it's doing the same thing again.

Hi julieannew, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear that you're having an issue with your V6 box. 

When this happens, more often than not it is quicker for us to send an engineer than replacement equipment however at the same time there are other checks we would need to perform too. Such as the signal and power levels coming through the cable, as mentioned above by newapollo. 

We're glad the work around has worked briefly but overall we need to get the engineer out to replace the box. We can do that via the forums but I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs