cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 box issues

makemray
On our wavelength

Suddenly we lost the TV guide descriptions. i.e all channels said "To be announced"   Did all the usual things like rebooting the Hub and just put up with it. Then one day I noticed two red lights on the front of the box. One being a WiFi symbol the other being two arrows in opposite directions. I rang Virginmedia to report the problem and the usual checks were made. Problem identified with the box. I explained I had tried to reboot the Hub and then the V6 box as advised reading up on the issue. I was then taken through a process again verbally over the phone and as it appeared on the TV screen. The problem remained and a tech visit was arranged. After the call however, I thought the lady in the call centre had missed part of the process out as I saw it on the TV screen so I went into settings and tried again to reset the hub and the V6 box. I was correct in that when I was previously guided through this process the part where I needed to press the WPS button was missed out. So I did that process again and managed to connect the V6 box and it reloaded with the information required.i.e all the channel inflrmation was restored. I cancelled the tech visit. 

I have also in the longer term had some buffering issues watching apps such as BBC Iplayer through the TV and V6 box. Eventually I message appears stating no WiFi connection.

So several days after resolving the channel information issue we started to stream via BBC Iplayer again and were experience the same buffering again. Programs buffering on and off and eventually receiving an on screen message about loss of WiFi. ( I should add that all other devices within the house were operating as normal regarding WiFi. Good signal all around. 

So I thought I would try something as I suspected that the V6 Box was the issue given the previous issue. I have an Amazon fire stick that I connected to the same TV. This resulted in watching BBC Iplayer undisturbed from buffering and therefore no loss of or reduction in WiFi strength. This suggests to me that there is a fault with the V6 Box. Whilst we were watching via the Firestick I did notice at one point a white two arrow light on the front of the box. This went off after a while, I have no idea of the significance of that. 

Now obviously I want to be able to stream trouble free from the V6 box. As the problem seems to be intermittent would I be charged for a visit if the box appeared to be in order at the time of the visit. This is so annoying. If I ring Virginmedia again I am likely to be put through the same process as I have already described above but does not seem to fully fix the problem. 

23 REPLIES 23

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your V6 is losing the WiFi connection to your router, this is causing a loss of Internet connection. OnDemand, streaming & guide updates all use the Internet.

Follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, check the wireless signal strength in the top-right. What is it?

Ethernet is always recommended whenever possible.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

makemray
On our wavelength

Hello Japitts,  I take it you mean do this when using something like BBC I player on the smart TV.

I don't have this "Follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network" on my Samsung TV . I can get direct to Network but I can't check the signal strength via that option.  I can't use an Ethernet connect as the Hub is upstairs and we have always used wifi connection to the TV without problems until recently.

makemray
On our wavelength

Just to add that when I do go into Virginmedia and help and support / TV the checks identify that they can't connect with the V6 box but the process then is to go through all the process I have previously done rebooting the hub and the box.

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi makemray, 

Thank you for your post. 

What @japitts is referring to here is through your actual Virgin set top box - not through your TV. Is it possible you're able to try this please? 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

makemray
On our wavelength

Ah right thank you. Sorry never thought about the remote. Okay it states 85% Excellent. 

Ray

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That should be stable. Check the same when you next have connectivity problems with your V6.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

makemray
On our wavelength

Japitts, the problem occurs when we are watching TV through an app such as BBC IPlayer.  I notice when I am tuned in that way watching Iplayer the home button does not respond on the remote.  I see the white light on the right of the V6 box flashing as I press the home button but thats it. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, I understand the problem occurs when you are using OnDemand/streaming apps. These services use your home's internet connection, which is delivered to your V6 via WiFi. When you are using a streaming app, the menu system will be that of the app. You need to exit the streaming app in order to access the V6 menu system.

What I am suggesting is that when a streaming app has buffering issues, that you exit said app - to then load your V6 menu system and check the wireless signal strength as you've done a few posts previously.

The flashing white light you mention, indicates the V6 is acknowledging your button press but has nothing to action - because the button you've pressed serves no function within the app your box is currently running.

Hi @makemray thanks for your reply here.

We do need a bit of clarity of if you are simply watching the apps through your smart TV, or via your Virgin Box please as it seems midway through this thread, things have changed to your Smart TV and not our box.

If you could please follow the steps @japitts has mentioned, this will enable you to run the tests to connect your V6 back to the broadband again and hopefully resolve connection issues.

Many thanks

Tom_W