Menu
Dalacin
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

V6 box issues

I’ve had no end of trouble with our second tv since we had Virgin installed in October, and I’ve so far been unable to get through on the phone. 
Since day one, we’ve had issues with scrambling of the picture and sound mainly on HD channels. I’ve swapped the box with the one in the main room (which is where the router is located), and the issues remain in the second room, so I think that’s something to do with the cable running to the second room, not the box. I’ve also followed all the automated advice on the helpline, and it improves things temporarily but then after a few hours the problems recur.

More annoyingly, recently the box doesn’t seem to start up properly after a period on standby - the light turns white (and red when powered off again) but no picture or sound appears on the screen. Rebooting the box seems to resolve the issue, but having to do this every time we want to watch TV is getting quite annoying. 
And then yesterday we had access to the menus, but all channels had no picture or sound at all. Replacing the HDMI cable and plugging into a different HDMI input seemed to fix that one, for now. 

Cumulatively, these issues are having a very significant impact on my opinion of Virgin Media, especially after several years trouble-free with a competitor company. We appreciate the (much) faster broadband, the main reason for the switch, but watching TV is not an easy task currently...

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 box issues

Hi Dalacin,

It sounds very much like a signal issue since you swapped boxes in the bedroom and the issue remained.

You need to check connections in the bedroom, especially the white coaxial cable and make sure it is snug and tight.

Unfortunately the quickest way to report an issue is by telephoning.

Having said that, have you tried signing into Service status at the top of this page? It shows any local faults, but importantly you can also run a test against the V6 box. By doing this VM should be able to try and connect to your box and determine what  the problem is. Sometimes this results in them sending out a replacement and/or engineer.

If that doesn't work then you need to contact the Faults team on 150 from a Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111, options 1,1 and 2 (Faultsbut best to call at 8am to avoid call queues, or late afternoon around tea time. 

When calling Faults hopefully the system will recognise that you've used the online faults checker and place you into a queue for an agent to pick up.

If not and you get the automated response asking you to press 1 for the link to online support,run tests etc, then ignore the options and don't press any buttons then you should be placed into a queue and an agent should pick up the phone and resolve the problem.

You could also try the text messaging service. Just send  a text with a description of TV Faults to 07533 051809. Your message will go into a queue and a representative will respond to you as soon as possible. It may take a few days. 

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 box issues

I broadly agree with newapollo, but I'll add a few things...

@Dalacin wrote:

I’ve had no end of trouble with our second tv since we had Virgin installed in October, and I’ve so far been unable to get through on the phone. 
Since day one, we’ve had issues with scrambling of the picture and sound mainly on HD channels. I’ve swapped the box with the one in the main room (which is where the router is located), and the issues remain in the second room, so I think that’s something to do with the cable running to the second room, not the box. I’ve also followed all the automated advice on the helpline, and it improves things temporarily but then after a few hours the problems recur.

In other words, you have a signal fault in this second room, and a reboot resolves things temporarily until the symptoms later return. Yep, that's pretty standard - and is why many C/S reps will "send stronger signals" and restart your box to resolve a pixellation complaint. The only way to fix these issues is to identify the cause of the poor signal and resolve it. Cable replacement, connector retermination, box replacement, whatever...All of which, in most cases, need an engineer visit. Anything else is just kicking the can down the road.

@Dalacin wrote:

More annoyingly, recently the box doesn’t seem to start up properly after a period on standby - the light turns white (and red when powered off again) but no picture or sound appears on the screen. Rebooting the box seems to resolve the issue, but having to do this every time we want to watch TV is getting quite annoying.

Which might also lend weight to the box starting on a slow, slippery descent downwards...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos