cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 box audio level very low

Snoopdog
On our wavelength

Last week I received a new V6 box (replacing TiVo).

The audio level is way low (vs Freeview) via HDMI on my very standard Sony TV.

When I first got a TiVo box (years ago), I had the same problem, but some smart person said change the audio output away from Dolby (as the Dobly level has to be low to allow for its extra dynamic range). That suggestion worked a treat - audio level identical to Freeview.

Now I have resurrected that same issue on the V6, and changing the audio output to PCM makes no difference.

Googling shows many people with the same problem. I suspect all people, but not all know about this or live with it. One of the posts suggests it is about 10dB down (massive), which I think sounds about right.

I feel pretty sure this is a real problem. Can't it be fixed by an "over the network" V6 software update? My TV volume is cranked up really high.

18 REPLIES 18

@ozsat wrote:

What have you got the V6 audio setting set to?

And what are you listening on? a tv or via an amp

@WoahWoahUser wrote:

This has been a problem for years, but I just want to know why the V6 box is so quiet compared to any other device, especially in HD. It’s always confused me and there doesn’t seem to be an obvious reason why. Does anyone know?

It’s set to dolby digital to pcm and it’s being played through my TV directly, which is a bit old, so it sounds much better and louder than what the majority of newer TVs sound like. 

I don't notice any difference when switching the same channel between different devices - and can't hear any real difference with the HD channels.

Some channels themselves seem a higher level than others on all platforms.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

I agree with this and have always had the same problem, I have the tv at almost 100% when watching virgin tv, but then when I watch apps on the tv or use PlayStation the whole street could hear it! I literally have volume on 20% for everything not through the virgin box and 100% for virgin 

It's because every Otto cycle engine completes its two full revolutions in a full firing cycle no matter if it has 4 6 8 12 or even 16 cylinders. Each cylinder generally as a companion cylinder, as you can tell by the math a 4-cylinder is going to have 180 degrees of crankshaft rotation between each Powerstroke.

my ford benefits

I have the same issue, I have a new Samsung 4k tv. When connected to my PS5, the whole street can hear it! However with V6 TV volume is at 100%

I wasn't convinced by the new 4K explanation and the previous post seems to confirm it.

I have worked in the design of consumer electronics products for many years, and it is usually part of the design brief to have compatibility for 10 years requirement, in any case. It is also a part of the design process to have prototype testing with a very wide selection of connected products. These requirements should be in VM's contract with their box designer.

Isn't there a box newer than the V6? It would be worth checking to see if this error is corrected.

radier_101
On our wavelength

Yes the v6 box is a lot quieter than using the same apps Netflix, iPlayer etc directly from the TV. I have a brand new Sony 4K TV and sound bar. I have to have the volume on 100% to make a programme such as Coronation Street loud enough to hear clearly. I've tried Dolby Digital and PCM but makes no difference. The same set up using the Disney plus App in the TV is very loud at 60% volume. Any ideas to get the v6 louder?

GASteele2001
Joining in

A few years ago I decided to switch boxes from the TiVo box to the newer V6 box.  My Sony TV is 3 years old and the volume using the TiVo box was between 12 and 15 volume, the V6 box I have to turn the volume up to anywhere between 28 and 32/33 to hear it.

It's clearly a design error that VM can't fix.