Menu
simondparker
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

V6 box and very poor HD picture

IS there a setting I'm missing as the picture quality on my 4k LG tv is rubbish. Even the HD channels and the Virgin TV menu are blurred. iPlayer, Youtube, Netflix all excellent in comparison.

Set it to Video output as 2160p pass thru and 2160p but no difference. Shocking. Anything can be done as Sky is far better.

And yes, HDMI on the tv is set to 4k, Hdmi 2.1 socket

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 box and very poor HD picture

Blurred pictures can sometimes be a TV setting - motion control has been known to do this.

There's also not one size fits all with the settings - sometimes letting the V6 output at 1080 and letting the TV upscale to 2160 gives good results, other times using 2160 is the way to go... it can all depend on your TV. What's the model? I don't have an LG, but others might.

SD channels upscaled to 2160 are going to have issues sooner or later, but HD channels should be ok.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
simondparker
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Settings on the tv are fine, had it professionally calibrated. And it’s excellent with everything else in,fusing Apple TV via hdmi, Netflix and Amazon also excellent. Swapped over the hdmi cable from my Apple TV to check it’s not the cable which it isn’t. It’s a fast 8k hdmi cable anyway. So it has to be the virgin box.

motion control by the way is turned off. Hdmi is set to 2.1. Tv is LG cx model 65 inch. 

720 movies from my Apple TV display better than hd channels on my virgin box.

virgin set to video output 2160, 2160 pass thru and 1080p so all correct

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I've no experience of your TV so can't comment, and your output settings seem as good as any.. but as a general point, I'd take "professional" calibration with a pinch of salt.

The best calibration of TV settings is what suits your eyes, and what works best with the kit you're using. So the config that works well with a Sky STB may well be sub-optimal for a V6 - to give one example.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
simondparker
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes agreed but that does not detract from the fact the picture from the v6 box is markedly inferior to anything else it shows or is plugged in to it. Even the Virgin TV guide is blurred. If calibration was off it would be bad for all. Yet my Apple TV, Netflix, Amazon, external usb are all excellent

if this issue cannot be resolved. And I’ve tried it with sky box by the way and that too is excellent. Then perhaps sky is just better at hd or I’ve a duff box

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Can you post some sample pictures of your issue?

That may certainly help myself and others....

0 Kudos
simondparker
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

not just me then, it's virgin, and to be told it's the tv is bo***cks. Perfect on prime, Netflix, Apple TV etc. Virgin box is just crap. Was wondering if I should upgrade o the 360 but if that's the same I shan't bother. Probably move to sky I know they have better picture 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I don't think anyone's told you this is caused by your TV, but in post 6 of this thread I suggested posting pictures to maybe help others offer suggestions.

If you want help, suggestions or pointers getting this resolved, then following that up could well help.

0 Kudos
simondparker
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I don't think a picture of my tv screen is going to help you cannot tell how blurry it is from that, you have to see it in person. However, I'll see what I can do

0 Kudos
mcdieimp
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I don't have any solutions but experience the same issue. I'm only using my old Samsung HD tv (not set up the 4K QLED yet) but the image quality on the v6 box in both SD and HD is noticeably lower than the picture using an old fashioned TV aerial.  It is most notable on SD but even on HD I can see the edges of text are far more jagged on the brand new Virgin v6 box (arrived today). Using a 4K capable HDMI.

I think under the package I am getting the box/TV for next to nothing so will just use Freeview for most TV and or the Google Chromecast for Prime/Netflix etc (and installed apps on the QLED) and only use the Virgin kit when I have to.  I'm surprised to see the virgin box only outputs at 50fps/hz too and have very few options in the picture settings to vary.

If I have any luck on the 4k when I set up I'll post what I did.

0 Kudos