Menu
windup121
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

V6 box and Dolby Atmos - what is the current situation ( 2019 ) to receive Atmos for youtube videos

Can anyone please update the latest situation ( 2019 ) re V6 and ATMOS and how to adjust output settings and connections to an AV receiver.

I have read many posts which reflect confusion and misunderstanding so would appreciate some informed 'Official' response.

I am currently viewing various Youtube demo videos on ch 198 which have Atmos demos but my new Pioneer 933 Atmos receiver is not displaying Atmos as received from the optical audio input. Having said that the Dolby surround sound effects seem to be working. Do I need to connect direct via HDMI from the V6 , assuming it is being transmitted which obviously is important ?

0 Kudos
GarethF
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 box and Dolby Atmos - what is the current situation ( 2019 ) to receive Atmos for youtube videos

There is ATMOS on LIVE Premier League games on BT Sport, also on FA Cup. I assume on Champions League too but only got my amp 2 weeks ago so not tried yet. Connected via HDMI - not sure it will work on optical

0 Kudos
windup121
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 box and Dolby Atmos - what is the current situation ( 2019 ) to receive Atmos for youtube videos

thanks.. the confusion is confusing LOL. I don't want to have to keep plugging in different sources with all the various settings. I'm not gonna be obssessed by it since the Dolby surround effects seem to work as is. I have my amp set as 5.1.2 and it does seem to react to the Atrmos demos, but would like some guideance if the V6 is transmitting it and if it should be via HDMI or optical.

0 Kudos
GarethF
Rising star
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The V6 outputs it when it gets it.

0 Kudos
GarethF
Rising star
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is ATMOS right now on BT4KUHD

windup121
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

A quick update to answer my own question on Youtube videos.. at least as I now understand it from reading various 'informed articles' on Atmos and DTS.

It seems Youtube currently recode all uploaded videos into 2 channel PCM for re-transmission, negating any format uploaded on the original. This applies even if you set the V6 audio output to Digital and also revealed by my Pioneer Amp which showed the input signal as 2 channel, once I read the manual on how to check LOL.

As to latest Atmos/DTS formats, seems there are set limitations. Both are high bandwidth and will only work on HDMI with a bitstream input even from a Blu-ray player which themselves are not all equal, plus you need a high speed HDMI cable to carry the data stream. ( I also found this was the cause of my TV ARC channel not working with a cheap cable, plus again ARC only carries 2 channels.)

As to Netflix, seems you need to subscribe to the highest level package to receive the original soundtrack. Can't say about other pay per view suppliers but probably similar. I only subscribe to the Player package on Virgin and no other. I get my media from the Net.

However, if anyone knows of a program which will feature Atmos via the V6 on the normal channels then I would be grateful for the info. Smiley LOL 

0 Kudos