Menu
smcc
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

V6 box EPG says "To be announced".

Over the past week or so one of my 2 V6 boxes does not display any programme details but only the channel name and "To be announced". The other box works perfectly. Both boxes are connected by cable. I contacted VM by phone and carried out all of the suggested manoeuvres to no effect. It was suggested that I check the network settings on the box which seemed to be OK yet, when I tried to connect the box to the  network I got as far as negotiating the connection before it ground to a halt. In all I spent nearly an hour on the phone to VM help desk but am no further forward.

I don't understand why a network connection is necessary when the box is directly connected by cable. Surely all the info comes down the cable!

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 box EPG says "To be announced".

Your V6 has 2 separate connections - the CoAx cable that carries your TV signals, and the internet (ideally Ethernet but otherwise WiFi) for all the online bits, that includes your TV guide and On Demand.

First off, check your V6 has a working internet connection. Follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Networl.

In the top-right, it will report your network status - what does it say? Is your box online or offline? I have a suspicion it could be reporting "offline", which if so, would be the underlying cause of your issue.

In the top-left, it should timestamp your (Approx every 6hours) network connections, and the status of the last one. Does it show success or failure - if failure, what's the reason given?

If you appear to have a working internet connection but no guide, you can try using "connect to Virgin services now" at the bottom of the screen, but the fact your EPG (TV Guide) has emptied itself would tend to suggest this process has repeatedly failed anyway.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
smcc
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Box is connected; Signal strength 100%(excellent); Failed: Problem with connection; Last success 01/09/2020. The box has been rebooted umpteen times over the past week to no avail.

Connecting to virgin service alway fails "while negotiating."

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This would tend to suggest your V6 has a connection to your homehub, but no onward connection to the internet - and your TV guide therefore hasn't updated since 3 weeks. It's probably obvious, but you are connecting your V6 to a Virgin home broadband, aren't you?

You've mentioned multiple reboots of the V6, have you rebooted the homehub recently? And is the connection wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi)?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
smcc
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I am at a loss to understand why the rogue V6 box can have a connection can have a connection to the hub but not onward to the internet when my second V6 box connects via the same hub. The hub has been rebooted very recently and, yes, it is VM broadband that I am using. The connection is wireless.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can you see if both of your V6 are connecting to the same SSID? I use my VM Homehub in modem mode with my own router, but the recent homehubs (I'm not 100% on this - others will know more) have an option for using the 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz WiFi bands.

Could it be that your working V6 is using one, and the non-working using the other? Long shot, but something else to eliminate.

Can you also check your box's system version, a code drop has been doing the rounds recently, and it may be useful to see if this has completed on yours.. Home > Help & Settings > System > System Info, and it's towards the top.

0 Kudos
smcc
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You are right that the faulty box is connected to 2.4GHz and the functioning one, in the same room as the router, is connecting to 5GHz.

The fact remains that various other WiFi devices can connect to the 2.4GHz band and work perfectly well. The smart TV can access the internet and play channels with  no problem. This confirms my belief that the V6 box is faulty and this has been confirmed at the second time of trying. An engineer will visit at the end of the week.

Thanks for your efforts.

0 Kudos