Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

V6 boot problems

Hi,

We were watching tv as normal when our V6 box suddenly restarted itself. It showed the Welcome screen and then shows the "Starting Up..." screen with a white light on the Standby button, then this turns into a White and Red flashing light with no change to the screen. It stays like this for more than 8 hours.
I have so far:
Powered off and on using the rear power switch - no difference
Removed the power lead for 5 minutes, then powered on again - no difference
Held channel + while powering up until Welcome screen shows. Shows downloading firmware icon then repeats problem as above.
Held channel + AND Standby button - same effect as above.

I have had set-top boxes since 1988 and I believe this one has been bricked. Something similar happened a 5 or 6 years ago.

If you wish to post me a new one, I will install it myself to save an engineer visit.

I have tried calling but have been left on hold for 2 hours.....

Can you help??

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V6 boot problems

Hi kokopelli199,

Sorry to see you are having major problems with your V6 box.

Have you tried signing into Service status at the top of this page? It shows any local faults and you can also run a test against the V6 box. By doing this VM should be able to send a signal to your box and try to repair it, or send out a replacement and/or engineer.

If that doesn't work then you need to contact the Faults team on 150 from a Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111, options 1,1 and 2 (Faultsbut best to call at 8am to avoid call queues 

When calling Faults hopefully the system will recognise that you've used the online faults checker and place you into a queue for an agent to pick up, rather than going through all the automated tests .If that doesn't resolve the problem then call back around 10 minutes later and an agent should pick the phone up.

You could also try the text messaging service. Just send  a text with a description of TV Faults to 07533 051809. Your message will go into a queue and a representative will respond to you as soon as possible. It may take a few days. 

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave,

Thanks for replying so quickly.

I have checked for outages in my area but nothing relevant to this.

I will try again for the Fault team....

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

By the way, the automated fault checker told me that my TV box was ok. 

So I switched it off and ran the test again and it still said it was ok!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@kokopelli199 wrote:

By the way, the automated fault checker told me that my TV box was ok. 

So I switched it off and ran the test again and it still said it was ok!

Is that the online one, or on the 150 IVR?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Both 😰

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi kokopelli199

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. My apologies for the delayed reply and the V6 issues.

I've checked the system today and can see you've spoke to the team since posting an that we've sent you a new V6 box. 

I've also checked for any current issues and nothing showing, so I hope everything is sorted. If not, please let me know and I'll be more than happy to help

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, thanks the new V6 is now up and running although it seems to have a software bug where it randomly jumps back to the beginning of recordings during recording. Happened twice tonight. 

Thanks for your help and advice. 

Tim

0 Kudos