Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

V6 and YouTube blocking.

Dear virgin, please add me to the list of people that are unhappy that we're unable to put parental controls on the V6 YouTube app. Yes you can put it into 'restricted' mode, but there is a huge amount of complete rubbish they can access. I am able to block this on every other platform my kids have access to except for the V6 box.

If anyone DOES have a solution for this bar unplugging the V6 box internet connection from the Superhub 3, please let me know.

Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 and YouTube blocking.

Can you block it from the superhub?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi GavChap,

Thanks for posting!

I'm really sorry for the trouble with this.

Although there is no way to currently block content within the YouTube app, we are always willing to work with partners such as YouTube to improve our services. If there is any change to the YouTube app we'll let the Community know.

All the best

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

@Josh_RW wrote:

Hi GavChap,

Thanks for posting!

I'm really sorry for the trouble with this.

Although there is no way to currently block content within the YouTube app, we are always willing to work with partners such as YouTube to improve our services. If there is any change to the YouTube app we'll let the Community know.

All the best

Josh

More simply put.

The V6 itself only has broadcast or DVB-C type parental controls. These cannot control apps as they are not broadcast channels.

The apps are the responsibility of the service you are using, as it uses their code not Virgins.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to jump on an old thread, this has just become an issue for me as well, with inquisitive middle son.

Surely there must be a way to prevent the Youtube app from running? I'm not interested in policing content, I do not want Youtube to be accessible full stop on the Tivo v6. The only way I can police this is to have a time block on the TV which is not ideal, and indeed the Tivo v6 is the only device I have come across that does not allow you to disable these apps.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I agree, an issue for me too with youngest child moving into a room that has a v6 box.

We only want him to view channels and not youtube.

Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Whilst  there is no easy way to block youtube (and other such) content from the V6 box, perhaps Virgin should look at the more achievable object of making the Apps lockable with the PIN code.

You can't learn anything from a mistake until you admit that you've made it.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Absolutely livid that my 6 year old has just managed to watch a YouTube video which initially looks child friendly as it's a super hero video but has talk about gang **bleep** and kinky sex. I have got the parental restrictions in place yet this has still been accessed. I do not want my son watching YouTube yet there is no way of removing or blocking the app 

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

YouTube blocking/removal

Absolutely livid that my 6 year old has just managed to watch a YouTube video which initially looks child friendly as it's a super hero video but has talk about gang rap* and kinky sex. I have got the parental restrictions in place yet this has still been accessed. I do not want my son watching YouTube yet there is no way of removing or blocking the app 

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: YouTube blocking/removal

youtube is almost impossible to filter or block on most platforms.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos