Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 11 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 & 5GHz

Hi Octimon1,

Thanks for getting back to us.

There are no known issues where the boxes can't connect to either frequency so I can only recommend a pin hole reset at the moment because there could be something with the hub settings that's causing the V6 to have difficulty connecting. Once this has been done try to connect the V6 to the 5GHz network before any other device.

I'd also recommend the step that Louise_F has mentioned regarding connecting to the Network.

You can do this by going to Home - Help & Settings - Network - Connect to the Virgin Media Network Now.

Speak soon.

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 12 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Just had a new V6 box and it won't connect to my 5GHz wifi. It sees the SSID but refuses to connect despite entering the right password.  
I have no problems with other devices connecting at 5GHz (e.g my laptop / ipad).
There is something wrong with the V6 box! 
Not impressed!

Jonathan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 13 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi JonathanP,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues connecting your V6 to the 5GHz, and I can appreciate you're keen to get this resolved. 

Have you tried all of the other tips within this thread that has been suggested?

If so, and you're still having issues, i'll be able to help further.

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 14 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I've had my V6 Box connected to the 2.4ghz setting for years, and it works absolutely fine, if yours is working on the 2.4ghz setting then just stick to that, I'm getting speeds of 100 mbps on 2.4ghz which handles everything thrown at it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 15 of 18
Flag for a moderator

What Hub is it ? If a Hub3 and you HAVEN'T renamed the SSID's of the two bands so they are separated and selectable it may not do so if it determines that the 2.4 band is "better" - particularly if the V6 is in a distant room from the Hub.
Have you tried renaming the SSID's - if you have the Hub3 of course?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 16 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello again,

Thanks for the replies...

It's a Netgear R6250 router configured as a wireless access point which I use to cover the downstairs area, as my Superhub 3 is in remote rear upstairs location. There's nothing wrong with this device as I mentioned that other devices can connect perfectly well on the 5 GHz frequency.
All my SSIDs are different, and it was only yesterday that we switched on the V6 box for the first time. 
At 2.4Ghz, I get 144 Meg connection, but as more of family use devices, it will affect it?

regards
Jonathan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 17 of 18
Flag for a moderator

The V6 is always best connected by Ethernet cable.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 18 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I have up to 13 devices online at times including my son gaming in UHD without any problems being caused to the 2.4ghz my V6 Box in fact I've never had an issue at all with any of my V6 Box on 2.4ghz, it's better in my view than 5ghz, I'm getting 100% on 2.4ghz but only about 65% on 5ghz, I honestly can't see why you are worried if it's working fine why are you trying to fix it.? 

0 Kudos