Menu
Sullywine
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

V6 Top Box.

Thank you to everybody who offered help and advice of trying to get my old Tivio box updated. My son has now managed to come up with a solution being a Amazon Firestick. Its works perfectly on my TV and gives me Netflix, Prime TV, Sky and many other channels, far more than I will ever need or use.

What I need to find out now is if I can keep my Virigin Home Phone and Virgin Broadband and cancel my TV package as such. Im not sure if I can do this as at 80 regretfully Im not that technical minded but, if one of you more intelligent people or even a Virgin personnel could let me know and possibly give me a link or way you go about this I would be extremely grateful.

As already said, Ive been with Virgin (originally Cables & Wireless then taken over by NTL then Virgin) for over 25 years possibly 30 which I hoped counted for something but, as one kind person pointed out, why should I expect something for nothing especially, as he puts it, for a superior box, but as Ive discovered as I enter the 21st century, nowadays loyalty is not even considered: I bet though, this individual does not have to live on a basic pension to make things happen but good luck to him, I just want the lowest I have to pay for reasons already given, as I use the TV very little other than films.

Anyway, I reiterate my thanks to everybody, as requested, if any further advice could be posted I would be very thankful. Michael 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Top Box.

Hi again Michael,

Thanks for updating us about upgrading for Prime etc.

As has been pointed out you will still need to pay Amazon to view the programs and movies on the Prime app. The same applies to the Netflix app and Sky Now app.

When using Prime I pay £7.99 a month which lets me view what's on there and also gives me free deliveries. You can also pay an annual fee of £79 which works out slightly cheaper.

Be careful with Prime and Netflix etc as some programs/movies still need to be paid for on top of the monthly fee. On Prime you switch on the heading "Free to me" which should make it easier to find programs you don't have to pay for. I can't say if that's the case on Netflix as I don't have an account with them.

There is no problem with dropping the VM TV and just keeping broadband and phone. broadband and phone packages 

Don't forget that the website highlights the prices for new customers, along with the full price. You need to consider a price point in between the two that your happy with, and then negotiate with retentions (thinking of leaving us)

Just be sure to get the phone package that suits your needs. For example Talk Weekends, Talk More Evenings and Weekends and Talk More Anytime phone comparison  

It might be better to reappraise the landline and look at the broadband and oomph sim packages instead, which gives you a sim card for your mobile, thus dropping the landline.  Or if you're happy to drop the landline, just get the broadband with VM and use your current mobile sim package.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I don't work for Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge. Learn more

Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules
0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi excellent advice from newapollo, I hope you get what you want. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Sullywine
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Many Thanks. Michael

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Just bear in mind that the landline especially, attracts substantial bundle discounts that more than cover its actual cost.

It's often cheaper to have the landline - regardless of what you do with it - than to disconnect it 

Same goes with basic TV, although not to the same extent. Have a play with the "build a bundle" site to get an idea of pricing first, before calling up.

https://store.virginmedia.com/build-your-bundle 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos