Menu
uzulu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

V6 TV box not working!

My TV Box has stopped working! It was fine yesterday lunchtime but when we tried to watch TV in the evening it was not responsive - the light on the front has gone out, and it doesn't respond to the remote. I have tried turning it off and on again, and unplugged it; after some effort I managed to get through to the Help call-centre, and the guy advised me to unplug everything, re-set the modem, and try again (during which process the re-set seems to have cut off the call, but hey-ho!). Anyway, there is a plus - we seem to have come back with a faster broadband speed! - but it's made no difference to the TV Box, which is still unresponsive and - no TV!! Of course I cant restart the TV Box because - it's not responsive! I don't know what else to do except get an engineer to look at it - but I'm reluctant to go through the whole call-centre thing again! Any ideas?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 TV box not working!

I'm not sure what difference resetting your modem would make to your TV box, but all the same.

When you say it's not responsive, what happens when you switch it on? Do you get the startup cycle displayed on your TV?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
uzulu
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No, I'm not sure what point resetting the modem achieved either but hey ho, I guess he was trying all the options. Nothing happens when I switch on the TV Box - no start-up cycle, no lights on the box. The only difference between on and off is a very faint hum when it's on, which suggests power is getting through - but there are no lights, no process of any sort starting. I've unplugged and replugged everything and there is no obvious loose connection. I should say that the TV is working fine - which is to say we can watch DVDs on it, but obviously not programmes as the box isn't working ..! So it's not the TV. I really think I need an engineer to come and look at it, but I don't seem to be able to arrange that without going through the whole call centre thing again.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you've got no lights on the box, the obvious thought is a problem with the power supply.

If you don't want to call in, you can wait on here for staff to pick the thread up - but this might take an extra day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
uzulu
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes, clearly something isn't right, although as I say there is a faint hum when it's turned on, which suggests power is going through. I'm currently wondering which will drive me more insane - waiting for staff to pick it up here or waiting for ages on the phone and being asked to turn it on and off again ...

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi uzulu,

Silly as it may seem, are you sure you've got the  correct source settings on the TV, and that you've tried a different HDMI cable and port (just in case) and rebooted the V6 when changing the HDMI.

If you do call Faults again, hopefully the system will recognise that you've used the online faults checker, and already spoken to them and place you into a queue for an agent to pick up.

If not and you get the automated response asking you to press 1 for the link to online support etc, ignore all the options and don't press any buttons then you should be placed into a queue and an agent should pick up the phone and resolve the problem.

Be firm with them, advise them of the tests you've performed and explain there are  no lights but the box is humming.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I don't work for Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge. Learn more

Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules
0 Kudos
uzulu
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, these replies are helpful. Yes - the thing is we went over to Virgin nine months ago and it was all working fine until Monday - with no changes or reconnection the box suddenly died. So, technophobe as I am, I'm working on the basis that if it worked before, and we've changed nothing, it can really only be a fault now; but I'll try that tip for the help line.

0 Kudos
uzulu
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Not getting anywhere with this, and getting very frustrated now. All possible variations of turning off and on again now tried - TV box still unresponsive. I've been trying to call customer services - but keep getting a message saying 'we're very busy - try online'. Beginning to wonder if it'll be easier and cheaper to go back to Sky...

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Are you using the 150 number or 0345 4541111?

I've just tried using 0345 myself, chose "I have a fault with my TV service" options and ignored all the following prompts, and was in the queue without any problems.

Not suggesting that you're not having problems, but let's see what they are, there may be other ways...

0 Kudos
uzulu
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I was using the 0345 number; couldn't get through this morning but, inspired by your insistence, tried again just now - and, yippee, succeeded! After explaining that I had already tried all the obvious things she agreed to book an engineer, so - result! Thanks everybody for your help!