Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

V6 Standard Def Image Poor

I have recently been upgraded to a V6 box after moving house.

HD channels appear to be good, but standard def channels are hazy. Any text on the programme has ghosting.

I have purchased a new high speed/quality HDMI cable and swapped ports on the TV but this has not resolved it.

I have checked the connections on the box and reset it numerous times with no improvements.

Rob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Standard Def Image Poor

Hi Rob,

Have you been into the V6 settings to check the way the display is set up?

Also have you tried signing into Service status at the top of this page to see if there are any local issues,  and run a test against the TV box? By doing this VM should be able to send a signal to your box and try to repair it.

If that doesn't work then you need to contact the Faults team. 

You could try the text messaging service. Just send  a text with a description of TV Faults to 07533 051809. Your message will go into a queue and a representative will respond to you as soon as possible. It may take a few days. 

You can also call  150 from a Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111, options 1,1 and 2 (Faultsbut best to call at 8am to avoid call queues

When calling Faults you will go through a series of questions/tests, if that doesn't resolve the problem then call back around 10 minutes later and an agent should pick the phone up.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

What size TV screen are you viewing on? I tend to work with an assumption that one level of upscaling, say SD > HD can be fairly well done, but if you're then viewing SD content on a 4K UHD TV it's going to look bad sooner or later.

Also as newapollo has suggested, tweak your video settings to experiment with what equipment is doing the upscaling. Say your V6 outputs at 1080p, that forces a 4K TV to upscale beyond that, or the V6 can output at 2160p if it's better that way.

Experimenting with your kit can often achieve good results, there isn't a one-size fits all.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately Virgin are using terrible bitrates and/or resolution on their channels!!

Most look worse than on other platforms, but you get the odd decent looking one like Talking Pictures 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your advice.

I’ve tried all the settings and it’s still a blurred image on standard def channels.

I have a Samsung 3D tv (it’s not in 3D mode of course!) and it’s not 4K.

I shall get in touch with Virgin as my phone line is still unobtainable after moving.

cheers

rob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@joebloggs wrote:

Unfortunately Virgin are using terrible bitrates and/or resolution on their channels!!

Are you suggesting this for particular channels or across-the-board?

As a blanket statement it is, at best, inaccurate.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos