Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 81
Flag for a moderator

V6 Sound drops randomly

Hi,

I've had my v6 for 12 months now and im still suffering with this stupid sound dropping issue and nobody sorts it. I've been offered a new box but tht would be my THIRD one. ts not a faulty v6 its a fault with ALL v6's looking at all the posts on this issue.

I have paid over £1200 for the last 12 months TV and had to put up with this issue. How is that acceptable? I'm sure SKY don't have this issue. As EVERY other device I plug into my TV works a treat.

I can now leave to go to Sky now if I want. It may cost me more but it might be worth it if you are never going to fix this issue!. Also they have plenty of HD films available and virgins line up is a joke. I find myself streaming online more as they are better quality!!!.

Are you going to address this issue or not???

TRIED ALL THE USUAL, NEW CABLES ETC. ITS 100% THE BOX AND TRIED 2 BOXES!!

Thanks

Matt

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 2 of 81
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Sound drops randomly

I have a issue with audio as well...when you say drops do you mean volume or completely cuts off for a second? I have both issues..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 81
Flag for a moderator

Sound drops completely for a split second.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 81
Flag for a moderator

When will VM respond with a proper answer?? Seen many people have this issue and when you ring they say its new to them!!! I've had this for a year now! Why should I stick around if this is how you treat top price paying customers?.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 81
Flag for a moderator

I had the same problem when it was first installed - its the HDMI cable and the HDCP protocol.
I used the same cable that I was using with the TIVO-500 and it seems to have been the problem!

Phone Virgin and they will send you a new cable.

I installed one I already had which is an older but quality Panasonic RP-CHE15 HDMI1.4 and the glitching and sound dropout stopped!

https://www.panasonic.com/caribbean/consumer/audio-video/digital-accessories/hdmi-cables/rp-che15.ht...

I am not sure whether it will be solved by HDMIv2.0 cables as I havent tried one!

Virgin are sending me a cable which they say solves it so will check the HDMI version.

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 6 of 81
Flag for a moderator

I do jave a decent cable on it already but as you say it is quite old, ill try the new amazonbasics one i have here
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 81
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Taken from another forum.

There's no such thing as a hdmi cable with a version number, it's just marketing.

HDMI cables are just standard and high speed, with or without Ethernet.

Does HDMI 2.0 require new cables?
No, HDMI 2.0 features will work with existing HDMI cables. Higher bandwidth features, such as 4K@50/60 (2160p) video formats, will require existing High Speed HDMI cables (Category 2 cables).

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/hdmi_2_0_faq.aspx#144

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 81
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot_20180219-082250.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 81
Flag for a moderator

Yes that is true its down to the quality usually thats why i used Panasonic.

There are differences in the hdmi standards but its down to bandwidth capability.as any tech knows that digital is digital and it doesnt really matter what cable is used as the data is a serial bitstream or parallel in some unique cases.

I guess what you are trying to say is that the pinout dsoesnt change between versions!

Adding ethernet to hdmi does require a pinout change though I would have thought!
HDCP handshake issues can be caused by the HDMI cables that are used if the pins are damaged or the cable does not conform to the correct HDMI specifications. Change the cable to test if this is the case before inserting a switch between source and display and use gold plated connector cables for best possible signal transfer on HDMI connections.

One other thing to mention that people dont realise is that not all HDMI ports on your telly are the same - There are HDMI (STB), HDMI (AUX), HDMI (ARC) ports so to avoid lots of problems the AUX port can be useful for removing HDCP in older tellies!

My old TV has Hdmi/Dvi specifically useful for PC inputs via DVI to HDMI cables!

In short HDCP is a moronic standard and is what causes a lot of problems on consumer av devices.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 81
Flag for a moderator

How come my fire tv box works 100% fine with 5.1 etc using a cheap asda HDMI??

0 Kudos