Menu
pstpne
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

V6 - Seems to be on all the time

I had an extra box from virgin a number of months ago and I seem to have a couple of issues.

1) It keeps turning itself on during the night, not one but multiple times.  Now I know that updates are carried out a specific times, but having to turn the box off during the night because the white light is on.

2) On power saving it does not turnoff after 4 hours

3)The hard drive sounds like it it spinning all the time even when it put into standby - Constant whirring noise.  Annoying at night in a quiet bedroom.

Any ideas 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 - Seems to be on all the time

When your V6 receives a software update or for whatever other reason performs a reboot overnight, it will come back into standby of its own accord. Once in standby, your power-saving settings take over - but the box will have "apparently" powered up of its own accord if you didn't otherwise realise.

Which power saving settings are you using? Remember the box will only switch off if there's no planned recordings or (6hourly) EPG updates happening. If you have any recordings scheduled, the HDD will remain active.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hayley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello @pstpne,

Welcome back to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry to see you have been having issues with your TV box.

Are you still having these issues or is it working now?

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
NinjaMeerkat
Superfast
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Both my V6 STB's have spinning hard drives even when turned off, they never go silent.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@NinjaMeerkat wrote:

Both my V6 STB's have spinning hard drives even when turned off, they never go silent.

And your power-saving settings are?....

I know the 4hour timeout works as designed on my V6.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
pstpne
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

On both my boxes the power setting is connected low power.  The box upstairs is the one that seems to have a mind of its own

0 Kudos
pstpne
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

On both my boxes the power setting is connected low power.  The box upstairs is the one that seems to have a mind of its own. Also I do not record on this box usually, but many a time I wake up during the night and the red light has gone to white and/or I can hear the hard drive spinning
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If the red light is going to white, there's 2 likely causes - if this is overnight, both of which are equally feasible although my money would be on option 2.

Some RF interference is equivalent to your remote pressing the "standby" button. Trying to trace this could be needle-in-haystack territory, but as long as the remote button isn't being inadvertently pressed, is the main thing.

Overnight software updates will cause the box to restart afterwards, and the only visible evidence you'll see is the V6 apparently switching on. If it's happening occasionally overnight, this is most likely. It's also impossible to stop.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

More often than not a reboot will reset all the CATV tuners to channel 999, except for the tuner last used for viewing which remains on that channel you were watching.

When viewing a channel press Info & scroll down to the last option to see the tuner status.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993