Menu
WelshGasman
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

V6 Pixelation?

Hi all,

I've switched to my V6 box as the Freeview channels are pixellating due to the very fine weather we are having here. Most times I would watch Freeview unless a particular channel is not available.
I only have the most basic TV package.

Anyway today the box is pixelating constantly. I phoned 150 and managed to get through. They advised to remove the power to the box, switch it off at the back and remove the cable lead. This I did. Then plugged them back in and went through the startup routine. Whilst still on the phone, there was no pixelation, but I advised him that it was random.

The box and leads have been in the same position for several years, only moved today under their instruction. After about 10 mins the pixelation was back.? 😫

I can understand Freeview playing up due to the weather conditions, but Virgin?

What can I try next please.?

TIA

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Scott_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V6 Pixelation?

Hi.
Send me a personal message with postcode, account number and area code if you know this and I will look into it for you.
To PM me, just hover over my profile picture and click Send Message when the option comes up. Please don't post any of the info I've asked for in this thread as it's public

Thanks Scott

If my answer was helpful to you please mark you post as helpful answer and consider leaving kudos.

Want to do right by your nearest and dearest and both earn a £50 credit off your bill? It's simple, Just text ‘RAF 92082 to 80011 with your postcode, account number, friend's name and phone number, so we can call them now.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

ten-tenths
Dialled in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Warm weather + V6 + HD channels = pixelation 

Its been happening for years and VM seem unable to sort it. My money is on overheating street cabinets.

0 Kudos
WelshGasman
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

TBH I hardly ever watch HD channels. 😀

0 Kudos
Cueball99
Well-informed
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@ten-tenths wrote:

Warm weather + V6 + HD channels = pixelation 

Its been happening for years and VM seem unable to sort it. My money is on overheating street cabinets.

Rubbish. I don't get pixelation no matter what the weather and I pretty much only watch HD channels.

This points to a signal issue for the op, or a wider area issue.

0 Kudos
ten-tenths
Dialled in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Rubbish...? Bit harsh, presumably you live in the same road as I do ?

i only get pixelation during hot weather watching HD channels......

0 Kudos
WelshGasman
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Engineer turning up Saturday to inspect thanks to Scott_B's intervention.

Will report back the result.
0 Kudos
WelshGasman
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Engineer turned up and noted spikes in the noise for the signal.
Replace something in the box outside. Only time will tell, as the last two days it had been fine.

One thing concerned me though, so I asked. if they have to replace the box, there go all your recordings?

Seriously, how hard is it to swap a HD over in them.?

Thank you Scott_B for your intervention and fair play, prompt visit by Virgin, even in these trying times.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It's great to see that the Engineer turned up a day early. I'm pleased you were actually there for the visit.

Unfortunately you can't copy recording from one box to another.  

The hard drives, I wish it were possible, however are encrypted based on a hardware id of the box.

It would be great if we were allowed to swap out and place a greater capacity hard drive in as well, however with so much on demand nowadays I don't think that's going to be possible either.

If/when we get the new Horizon interface and boxes I think that recordings will be cloud based, which will be an improvement. The Horizon was supposed to start being implemented later this year, however I think Covid will have meant a change of plans

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
WelshGasman
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That is a bummer. 🤔

Being able to bring them off the unit to your own HD wouldn't hurt.?

Going to hope mine never goes terminal in that case. 😀

0 Kudos