cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 GREEN SCREEN

ALF28
Super solver

I had a green screen of death appear while switching channels. (not had this before)

It indicated a DVR fault, and repair will take 3 hours,however it took only 20 minutes and back to normal with a restart  occurred.

Recordings/replay works , apps working but did give error 01119 on iplayer, seems ok now.

My V6 is over 3 years old, previous posts indicate a hard disk issue, but I will see if it occurs again before contacting virgin on 150.

The disc was 99% full, would that cause the issue?

alf28

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In all the years I've been posting on here, every case where an HDD with "Your DVR has detected an error" has recovered - it has only been a matter of time before it fails again.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In all the years I've been posting on here, every case where an HDD with "Your DVR has detected an error" has recovered - it has only been a matter of time before it fails again.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi ALF28, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear that you've had the green screen. 

I've had a look at the V6 box stats to see what is going on but none of the stats are reading correctly. Even though things seem to be back up and running, as per japitts, it is likely this will happen again. 

Due to this, I would like to arrange for an engineer to come out to take a look. I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi ALF28, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message. 

That's no worries at all, we can delay the visit for now. 

If you have any further issues though, pop back and let us know. 

Take care and enjoy your weekend 🙂

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

V6 Still working OK

However, yesterday my V6 did an installation "software download", and then loaded the current TV Guide, and then connected to virgin services, flashed up M60.

Took several goes at connecting and eventually downloaded 100%, took about half an hour.

Was like a first-time installation with a welcome video for the V6, that was unusual, but all recordings seem ok. Perhaps the V6 was reset? or software updated?

The V6 is still working OK though, no problems since then.

Wifi  signal strength 50%-70% varies marginal to good, that could be an issue, I use my own router for wifi.

alf28

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I fear your V6 is on a slow road to retirement and a complete failure will only be a matter of time.

V6-faults

The V6 may be on its last legs, it does keep freezing during playback of some recent recordings which may indicate some disc damage.

I have a many recorded programmes still to watch so I have delayed replacement, to keep my recordings and watch some of them before it packs in totally.

alf28

Hi @ALF28

Sorry to hear that the V6 is coming to it's end, hopefully it will last long enough for you to watch all your recordings. 

Whenever you are ready for the replacement, please let us know on here and we'll arrange this for you. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

SORTED/SOLVED -V6 tv box-green screen

Thanks,

My V6 Tv box did finally fail with a permanent green screen approx 5 months after the first incident of a green fault screen.

I rang 150 and the V6 has now been replaced with an engineer visit within a few days.

This was an excellent service by Virgin media  and I am all up and running again with my new V6 repacement TV box.

The recordings were all lost on the old V6 tv box,as the hard drive failed, so I have to start again recording TV shows on the new V6 box and have already recorded some programmes to watch.

While waiting for the repair I tried the virgintvgo for live tv by signing in on my laptop. I was using freeview also on my TV, but not as many channels as my Virgin TV box.

i also use apps on other devices such as a smart TV, smart dvd blueray player (but they can not be updated as they are old) which had iplayer and youtube, and have reset my now box after a few hitches which can get most TV player apps  and netflix and can do catchup that way if needed and a good backup.

replacement V6 tv box-picture quality has improved.

I have noticed the new tv replacement V6 box has a better and brighter picture quality, colour definition and clear text, the old faulty V6 was 4 years old, and the picture, text and sharpness and contrast were worse, and I could not always read the text on the  epg. (Tv guide)

My Panasonic TV picture settings have not changed, so the improvement must be due to switching the V6 box.?

Or was this due to the VM engineer who changed the cable connector from brass to steel where it came into the house (corrosion issues)