Menu
Blackbart
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

V6 Frustrations

I've deliberately avoided posing here to avoid hearing someone tell me what a marvellous piece of consumer electronics the V6 box is. my old tivo didn't offer half as much but it did do what it was supposed to. 

Like many others I have been experiencing problems using the amazon video app. i've read many of the posts here and it seems likely the video output cannot interface with my TV! thats only five years old but the uppermost v6 video resolution is not supported. The first work around has been to reboot the v6 box every time I want to use amazon and sometimes Netflix, five minutes later the problem is solved. Leave it a day later and I am back to square one, the spinning wheel of death when I attempt to open a movie. The second solution and much better is that I have purchased a chromecast dongle and it works brilliantly. How can this Bijou £30 interface do what the v6 cannot (I dont think its the amazon app on the v6) There is a downside with tech un-savy family that when we evoke the Chromecast it automatically switches the tv to its HMDI output. when someone else switches the V6 on it does not switch back and I am getting called back from the pub to get the TV working, very serious. My parter says I should just throw the V6 in the bin as its caused be so much angst. Is this a good plan?

Sympathy welcome.

Stephen

Ps. yes I have contacted technical support and they were very sweet but suggested I get a new 4K TV. anyone from virgin offering???

PPS ethernet and wifi both top notch (according to virgin)

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Frustrations

Don't throw it away as virgin will send you a bill for it.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

What TV is it?  Amazon prime video works just fine on the V6 for millions of VM customers.  What output settings are you using?  Have you tried a new HDMI cable?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Blackbart
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

John thanks,

Your absolutely right! But the evidence on this forum suggests a sizeable minority are having exactly the same problem. I’ve checked and tweeted every possible parameter. What I’m curious about is what’s happening when I reboot the v6 to make it come good. What I might try to do is simply never switching it off.

my Tv is a Sony kdl 40r 483B. About five years old. The hdmi cables are the best I could find on amazon costing an arm and a leg. It’s says 4kuhd on them?

to be honest other than the v6 we have a chromecast, blueray player, and some other media player I never use, with the exception of the v6 they all auto switch the input over when switched on. Did virgin buy a load of chipsets from some dodgy bloke down Romford market.

thanks again

0 Kudos
Blackbart
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If anyone’s vaguely interested having done a bit of research my comment about dodgy chipsets may be a bit nearer the mark than virgin care to admit. Here’s the post from this forum two weeks ago.

Re: amazon prime and netflix not working

Update: got an engineer round who couldn't figure out what the fault was. He contacted a few of his colleagues who had the same problem ( at work and home , even with the newer box from Virgin Media which is not available on the market yet as in beta state), and have not been able to fix it. After about an hour of testing and having lost half his hair, he opted to swap the box again.
It worked fine from the start and is still working as we speak . Which would tend to lean towards the faulty box/batch.
Fingers crossed it will stay that way.
Thanks all for your help and to those who haven't been able to get the problem fixed, I would suggest they contact Virgin or book an engineer in order to get a new box ( even if theirs is already new like mine was...).
Obviously there is a " bad " batch kicking about and they may have gotten one like we did. Unless the problem will be back tomorrow or the day after...;-)
Will keep you updated if any changes.
Good luck all.
Thanks again.

P.S: this is the short version as we have tried all different settings before replacing the box , and found that some programs ( from Netflix ) were only playing in standard definition ( 570 p?), some only in 720p some in 1080p and some in 4K ( even though ALL of them should have played at least in 1080p , except the 4K ones, of course...;-)) on a 4K TV.

P.S x 2: One of his pal engineer who has the latest Virgin box ( not on the market yet ) said he had the same problem and had to switch the box off every time and back on if he wanted Netflix to play . That could be another thing those who have that problem could try too. I will switch the downstairs box every night from now on ,  like I do with the upstairs box ( which it turns out to be the same as the living room one ( never trust a woman for this...;-)).

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Interesting. Here's my story...

When I had my "sound cutting out" problem on my new Samsung TV (not a 4K) a couple of years ago, my first thought was to call VM to get the V6 fixed. But I first went onto the Samsung forums (UK & US) where there were literally dozens of posts from people experiencing all sorts of sound and picture issues with their new (usually 4K) TV's connecting to their favourite cable TV "box" - not just V6's.

Long story short... I contacted Samsung UK support who said.... “one of our representatives can remotely access your TV to perform the HDMI EDID rewriting before establishing the connection with the V6 box and the other HDMI-supported external devices”.

Did that and problem solved! In the absence of any VM "fix" for your particular issue (apart from getting a newer V6), what are they saying about it on the Sony forums? I would expect them to be on fire with this issue and prospective solutions?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Blackbart
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Nice to hear back from you John and to hear your story.

Yes a lot of people have been experiencing my issues. To be fair to VM when I approached tech support they took / have taken the issue quite seriously, unfortunately they kept calling back to follow up when I was in work so its very much an open case. It seems something to do with the higher definition of amazon and Netfix. the BBC Iplayer and its ITV counterpart work without issue. In the same thread I posted below someone got around it by a very specific combination of Video resolutions set on the V6. Unfortunately the higher one suggested isn't possible on my TV. 

I hate the disposable culture we live in regarding things like electronics. My TV is about five years old. That said I saw my friends 4K TV the other day and have to say I was impressed, with the prices coming down I guess I'm about to take the plunge so I may wait before getting too hot under the collar. Im told panasonic TVs are brilliant (no pun intended), but clearly many people here rate samsung.

Take care

Stephen