Menu
Brucie
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

V6 Box

I am using the current V6 box and have been since it's early inception  , i am curious to know if Virgin are contemplating a further upgrade to this tv box ? As time passes on technology improves and probably superior viewing possibilities  , so just wondering if Virgin are anywhere near a better viewing experience  ?

Colin 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Box

@Brucie wrote:

I am using the current V6 box and have been since it's early inception  , i am curious to know if Virgin are contemplating a further upgrade to this tv box ? As time passes on technology improves and probably superior viewing possibilities  , so just wondering if Virgin are anywhere near a better viewing experience  ?

Colin 

The V6 was designed to be used with Horizon firmware (V360) which it can now be upgraded too. There have been a few small tweaks internally with the newest Humax manufactured boxes, but there are unlikely to be any further developments. Horizon can (& does in the rest of Europe) operate with cloud storage as opposed to internal. There also is a mini streaming box that uses totally IP based apps, although this is only available to customers without a TV subscription.

VM BB TV Landline. Vonage 2nd line. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Depends what you mean by an "upgrade".

As far as "big picture" goes, VM's future development is now on the 360-platform which is owned by their parent company rather than being licenced from TiVo of the US. Already, some new features like profiles & voice control are available on 360 that the TiVo-platform (which V6 runs on) is never likely to replicate.

That said, TiVo is a very mature & stable platform and has quite a few (mainly recording) features that 360 has yet to replicate. What specific features are you hoping for from a "superior viewing experience"? It already supports 4K/UHD

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

For some people the most obvious missing upgrade is Dolby Vision, and HDR10+ may become relevant one day.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos