Menu
Gregsy
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

V6 Box

When I go to bed or out to work I turn off both my broadband router and TiVo box to avoid using unnecessary power or fire risks. When I come home I pop it all on again and once its fired up it works fine. Can those of you who have a V6 box tell me if you can do the same thing? Also, while I'm asking, does the V6 box work if the broadband router isn't on? I have a vague memory of someone telling me the V6 box can only work properly if its' left on all the time or the broadband router is on, or both - can't quite remember. Many thanks.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

HRe: V6 Box

Hi Gregsy,

I leave both the hub and the V6 boxes on all the time. The main reasons being they take an age booting up, and also VM perform updates overnight, so that would make the equipment booting up time even longer.

The V6 will work without the router being switched on, however you won't be able to access catchup, Amazon Prime, Netflix etc without the internet connection.

The EPG updates around once every 6 hours via internet, so if not connected to the internet you wowuld probably start seeing "to be announced" instead of program details

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: HRe: V6 Box

The updates to the EPG seem to have increased to every 2 hours now. If you use the V6 with the Hub off, be prepared to put up with warning lights flashing on the front of the box, which you may find annoying.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Box

As per other posters - Virgin equipment is designed, and intended, to be switched on 24/7. There are power saving options available under the settings menu to minimise power use when the box is idle.

Powering down your equipment in the manner you describe is - sooner or later - asking for service issues.

And no, the V6 relies on its internet connection for VOD, guide updates, and numerous interactive facilities. Forcing it to operate offline will cause errors.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Gregsy
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply Dave. I don't want to leave the router and box on when I'm out if I don't have to. When I put it all back on, it takes about 5 minutes to re-start. I take it you don't mean it takes much longer than that? We're not talking half and hour or something like that are we and I assume the updates will come through once it's turned back on? It sounds like my TiVo box, which stopped working properly last night, has an internal capacity to connect to the internet whereas the V6 box doesn't which is why I need the router on to get catch up, and iplayer I assume is also included in that. Thankfully, I have 2 TiVo boxes so connected the working one up in the living room last night. I've got a technician coming next week so I'm hoping that if he can't get the broken one working, which in fact was recording something but just wouldn't display anything on the TV screen, he will have a space 1TB TiVo box on his van because I'm wondering if the V6 box is problematic. Does it respond as quickly as the TiVo box did for you? 

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi again Gregsy,

I'm impatient in wanting TV's, set top boxes, computers etc to work immediately. 

My V6 takes generally takes around 6 or 7 minutes to boot up. The hub can take up to 10 minutes.

The V6 is a far better box than the old TIVO, it's much faster in operation and also has extra apps.

The V6 has to use the router connection for the on demand/apps etc and works best with an ethernet connection. Although the old TIVO doesn't need the hub as it has it's own internal modem it's defintely slower and has more problems playing on demand and apps.

I'm wondering since you have 2 TIVO's if you are possibly out of contract and could save money by calling up and renegotiating a new deal, and possibly get the old TIVO switched over to a V6. The V6 does need a VM broadband connection, so you can't use it with other internet providers.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Gregsy
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave

Thanks again for your reply. I could live with that sort of start up time if it meant I could switch the box and the router off when I'm in bed or out. 

My router is in my bungalow hall which isn't far from the living room but still quite far for an ethernet connection so I would hope it would still work OK? I use BBC iPlayer and the catch up services a fair bit and that can sometimes be a bit pause/start sometimes. Just to open iPlayer seems to take ages but that may be a BBC issue.

I don't have a problem leaving the router on in the hall as I do now when I'm using the box so that would be OK but I'm a bit concerned that by turning it all off every day, I am going to lead to service issues as others have suggested. I don't really get any problems now when I turn it all off and on every day. 

As long as I can turn the lot off when I'm out and put it back on without problems I might be willing to try it. Well I might have to if they don't still supply the TiVo box.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi again Gregsy,

The V6 box can work using either an ethernet or wireless connection. Ethernet has a stronger signal, but I would have thought that living in a bungalow then the wifi conection shouldn't be a problem.

If it is you could always order a wifi booster. Basically you plug the booster into a normal wall socket and pair it up with your router. You then connect an ethernet cable from the booster to your V6 boxes. 

Dave

Gregsy
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all of that Dave. I think I'm feeling slightly more hopeful that a V6 box could work if the technician can't repair or replace the Tivo box next week although I suppose I'm still a bit concerned that my switching off and on again preferences might lead to complications with updates or whatever the issue might be. Mind you, I'm always anxious with new technology. It was only last year I got a smart phone and I love that. 

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi again Gregsy,

There's no problem turning the boxes off if you would rather they not be left on. It's actually useful to turn them off once a week or so, as if they all have little computers in them which can sometimes mess up. Turning them off clears any memory issues in the little "computers".

You can even control it so that the V6 powers off if it hasn't been used (or the channel changed over) for 4 hours  v6-tv-box-standby-settings  so that sort of confirms there are no problems turning them off 🙂

The boxes don't have a software update very often, the odd time they do, maybe a couple of times a year if that, will mean it takes a few minutes longer to power on on that occassion.

The V6 uses the internet to update the TV guide every 2 hours or so, so that won't cause any probelsm either.

Dave