cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 Box - watching Downstairs & Upstairs

flipflop104
On our wavelength

Hello

So I have a V6 box downstairs (called "living room") and had an additional V6 box upstairs (called "bedroom").  If I'm watching "live" TV downstairs and have paused it so am, say, 25 mins behind the actual programme being live.

Is there any way I can then continue watching where I'm up to on the living room "live" programme in the bedroom.

For example, I'm 25 mins behind the "live" programme in the living room and want to go upstairs and continue watching it in the bedroom while I get showered/changed (and maybe pause while I'm in the shower) and then return to the living room once I'm changed and continue watching where I am in the programme back down in the living room.

Or, I'm watching something downstairs which has been paused.  And there's someone in the bedroom whom I want to watch along with me but they're in the bedroom so they switch the TV on and can they replicate exactly what I'm watching in the living room while they're in the bedroom and we can effectively "watch" together even though we're in separate rooms, so, for example, I can fast forward through the ads and it does it for them too.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @flipflop104 

Does the following do what you want?  According to page 31 of the V6 manual, "Watching a show on live TV? Press the Record button. This will let you pick up the action when you stream the recording in another room"

https://assets.virginmedia.com/help/assets/documents/Virgin_TV_V6_user_guide.pdf 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

graciareb5
Joining in

As i know in some cable or satellite setups with multiple set-top boxes, Multiroom Viewing is supported, allowing you to pause a "live" program in one room and resume watching it from the same point on another set-top box in a different room. This feature may require the use of specific set-top boxes that are compatible with Multiroom Viewing and are connected to the same network or infrastructure.

If you have a Virgin Media V6 box downstairs and another V6 box upstairs, you may be able to use the Multiroom feature to achieve the scenarios you described. This would allow you to pause a "live" program downstairs, go upstairs to the bedroom, and continue watching from the paused point on the second V6 box. Similarly, you and someone in the bedroom could watch the same program simultaneously on separate V6 boxes and control playback, including fast-forwarding through ads, independently on each box.

Thanks for your reply @graciareb5 - do you know how I would go about doing this?

Hi @flipflop104 thanks for your post here in the Community!

So with V6 boxes, it's not possible to do this as the two boxes have their own independent hard-drives (and this is how live TV is stored when it's paused).

However, with our new TV360 software, the main box has it's own hard-drive and any other boxes are mini 360 boxes, and link to the main box via a broadband connection.

This way, it is possible to pause live TV in one room and pick up in another! For more information please see here.

If you wish to upgrade to TV360, we're available on 150 / 0345 454 1111 and the team will be able to help here!
Many thanks

Tom_W

Thanks for clarifying - I don't want to move to 360 - I prefer the TiVo software, thanks.

Hi @flipflip104 thanks for your reply - no problem at all.

If you do change your mind, you know where we are 😊

Many thanks

Tom_W

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @flipflop104 

Does the following do what you want?  According to page 31 of the V6 manual, "Watching a show on live TV? Press the Record button. This will let you pick up the action when you stream the recording in another room"

https://assets.virginmedia.com/help/assets/documents/Virgin_TV_V6_user_guide.pdf 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@flipflop104 wrote:

Hello

So I have a V6 box downstairs (called "living room") and had an additional V6 box upstairs (called "bedroom").  If I'm watching "live" TV downstairs and have paused it so am, say, 25 mins behind the actual programme being live.

Is there any way I can then continue watching where I'm up to on the living room "live" programme in the bedroom.

For example, I'm 25 mins behind the "live" programme in the living room and want to go upstairs and continue watching it in the bedroom while I get showered/changed (and maybe pause while I'm in the shower) and then return to the living room once I'm changed and continue watching where I am in the programme back down in the living room.

Or, I'm watching something downstairs which has been paused.  And there's someone in the bedroom whom I want to watch along with me but they're in the bedroom so they switch the TV on and can they replicate exactly what I'm watching in the living room while they're in the bedroom and we can effectively "watch" together even though we're in separate rooms, so, for example, I can fast forward through the ads and it does it for them too.

Thanks in advance.

If the programme is paused, no. You need to create a hard disk entry (a recording) for the other box to latch onto. So if you are wanting to continue watching on other boxes, hit the record button. The recording will go back either to the start of the programme if the channel has been buffering. You can then stop the playback & continue from the same point on another box. THE SAME applies to V360 boxes. If you have a V360 mini box it will only pause for a maximum of 10 minutes, so you have to hit record anyway if you wish to pause for longer. Only one box can reliably play a specific recording at any one time. The likely result is that the recording will reset to the start if you do this.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

flipflop104
On our wavelength

Thanks @newapollo and @nodrogd

Hi flipflop104, thanks for the message and welcome back to the community and thanks to @newapollo and @nodrogd for their input. 

Can you confirm if you have managed to resolve the issue on the back of their advice? 

Kind regards, Chris.