Menu
wood296
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

V6 Box not finding wifi after activated but did before activation..

Wired up and connected V6 as instructed. Tried to connect TV to wifi. List of wifi came up, found mine but it would not accept the password. Realised I had not phoned Virgin to activate the V6. Phoned up activated box. Tried to connect. Now I get the c219 error and not even a list of available wifi to choose from. Talked to an agent on the phone, resetting, turning on off etc. Told it must be a problem with wiring inside my house. I know it is not. Had a problem with router last Jan told same thing, I knew it was not a problem with my wiring. Engineer came said it was a port issue and changed something outside. Why would I get a list of available wifi to choose from on the TV screen before activating the V6 box and no list of available wifi after getting Virgin to activate the box? I am a disabled person I do not want an engineer visit as this causes all sorts of problems for me. Been with Virgin about 15 years never had so many problems as I have over the last 3 years, just feel like packing it all in and I have EVERYTHING with Virgin including mobile, the only thing stopping me is the stress.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Box not finding wifi after activated but did before activation..

Let's check the basics here, what is it you're trying to do, or are having problems with?

The V6 box needs 2 connections: A coax cable that carries your live TV channels, and a wired/wireless connection to your VM homehub for the internet - that provides your OnDemand, TV Guide updates etc

You may have a "smart" TV that can also connect (via your homehub) to the internet for online apps and suchlike. Except for the fact your home broadband is VM-supplied, this has nothing to do with Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
wood296
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

What am I trying to do... set up the V6 box connecting it to the TV and my wifi so that I can watch TV.

There are 3 cables one from the V6 box to the power supply.

One from the V6 box to the power supply.

One from the V6 box to the fitting on the wall coxial cable using the adapter lead supplied.

All fit well all are correctly inserted.

I have Virgin Mixit TV package. My TV is in a different room from my virgin router so the TV has to be connected via wifi. Unless my TV is connected to the wifi I cannot access any live TV or catch up TV, I can only play DVD's. I previously had a TIVO box which was connected in exactly the same way  (this stopped working when my Virgin router was updated) as the V6 box and worked fine.

Why do you think this has nothing to do with Virgin media? If my V6 box cannot connect to wifi  or even pick up that wifi is available I cannot watch any TV? I find it strange that prior to activating the box the Virgin TV start up page on my TV showed a list of available wifi and mine was on there but it would not accept my password. After activating the box over the phone I now get the message 'preparing connection unsuccessful' and when I press OK I get network error C219. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I think you're confusing a few things here, so let's try to break this down.

@wood296 wrote:

I have Virgin Mixit TV package. My TV is in a different room from my virgin router so the TV has to be connected via wifi. Unless my TV is connected to the wifi I cannot access any live TV or catch up TV, I can only play DVD's. I previously had a TIVO box which was connected in exactly the same way  (this stopped working when my Virgin router was updated) as the V6 box and worked fine.

If you are trying to connect your TV to your home router directly and use whatever OnDemand/streaming/app functionality your TV has, this only uses Virgin as far as your broadband connection goes - this is NOT using your TiVo/V6 box. It should only be a matter of telling your TV the WiFi SSID & password.

The TiVo box only needs 2 connections. The incoming coax cable carried your live TV channels & internet (for OnDemand & streaming) - and then an HDMI (or Scart) to your TV.

The V6 doesn't have the internet inbuilt so needs either a wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi) connection to your homehub to allow OnDemand, streaming & EPG (TV Guide) updates to work. HDMI to your TV is the same.

To connect your V6 to your router, you choose (on your V6 remote) Home > Help & Settings > Setting > Network. If you're following any menus on your TV, this is a perfectly valid thing to do but it's NOT using your VM-TV box. That's what I meant when I commented "that has nothing to do with Virgin Media"

@wood296 wrote:

Why do you think this has nothing to do with Virgin media? If my V6 box cannot connect to wifi  or even pick up that wifi is available I cannot watch any TV?

This would suggest the coax cable that carries your live TV channels is not connected. Live TV isn't carried over the internet - only OnDemand & streaming, is.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
wood296
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: v6 can't access virgin services like catch up.

Crossed wires! I'm not trying to connect my TV to the internet, and I don't have a Smart TV. By "tried to connect the TV to WiFi" I actually meant TiVo.

It is the V6 box that I am having this problem with, not the TV or any other device. I can now access live TV through the V6 box but not any TiVo services because the V6 box cannot use the TiVo services for some reason even though I managed to get it to connect to WiFi. This is the part I would be very grateful for help with.

I saw another thread with a very similar problem and it was solved by a moderator but who is now retired.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Tivo-Box-not-connected-to-internet/td...

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Ok, good stuff. First let's check your V6 internet connection. Follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network.

What is shown in the top-right? If posting a picture would help, go right ahead!

0 Kudos
wood296
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Got this error message c130 at some point last night also. Hold on will do as you suggested. Thanx. 

0 Kudos
wood296
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Won't let me add photo as says image too large. When trying to connect to virgin media services it says network cable unplugged. It's not only thing is it is not connected to ethanet and won't accept my WiFi password which I know is correct. 

0 Kudos
wood296
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Says there in no network connection but under wireless connection details signal is strong. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

"Network cable uplugged" is a fairly typical error on a TiVo if the internal modem has failed, but you're mentioning wireless... can we just check you're definitely using a V6?

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-box 

it sounds to me, like a WiFi connection is available, but the box isn't connected to it. If an Ethernet cable was plugged in but not connected at the router end, it may explain the "network cable unplugged" but the WiFi option shouldn't even be shown.

0 Kudos