Menu
Ant231291
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

V6 Box not connecting the the media service

This is my last resort to get some help with this issue as Customer service by phone is absolute joke all you get is some recorded woman waffle on about running a test. 

Anyways, I hope someone can help. 

V6 Box, upstairs connected to the router via Wi-Fi, split bands 2.4 and 5Ghz its on the 5Ghz band. Connection speed as per the network status page on the Box is 702 Mbps signal strength 72% (good). 

The Box has had this issue for a while where it won't connect to the virgin media service, but is connected to the Internet. Error Code C218.

Sometimes I can watch on-demand services fine, then all of a sudden nothing. And the buffering I'd something else. Was on 2.4Ghz, then buffering started. Swapped it to the 5Ghz band solved the issue. But then it returned. 

Xbox next to the box connects fine, phone connects fine. Just this stupid virgin. Everyweek there's some kind of problem, wifi randomly drops, On demand won't work, phones won't connect to WiFi, then suddenly its all back to normal. 

Today's new problem now is a blank Green Screen randomly. It's not the HDMi lead, already swapped and changed it. 

You ring customer support, get that bloody recorded woman that just wants to run a test. I've already done that via the App! It told me to call you!! 

Paying a big wedge of cash a month for this "Oomph" package that has about as much Oomph as soft cheese..

Sorry for the rant but it getting silly now.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Box not connecting the the media service

Putting everything else aside for a moment...

@Ant231291 wrote:

Today's new problem now is a blank Green Screen randomly. It's not the HDMi lead, already swapped and changed it. 

If this is genuinely a blank screen, it's usually indicative of HDMI issues somewhere. Dodgy cable or port.

If it's a green screen saying "Your DVR has detected a problem", this is a failed hard drive.

I suspect the remainder of your issues are just WiFi-related, but let's check the green-screen bit first.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Ant231291
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It was just a green screen with the v6 menu behind it, and a spinning wheel. The Box reset itself and then cane back normal. It done this before and I swapped the leads but the problem remained until the box reset itself. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

If the box is resetting itself, that's potentially another fault.

As for the connectivity issues, everything sounds symptomatic of poor/unreliable WiFi connectivity. You've quoted ~70% for signal strength, but is that the same when you get the VoD/streaming dropping out?

You've also alluded to the V6 swapping between 2.4 & 5Ghz bands - if 5Ghz is reliable enough, you shouldn't be seeing 2.4Ghz IMO

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos