Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

V6 Box keeps dropping wifi connection

The past few days my V6 box keeps dropping its connection to my wifi, the wifi and the up and down arrow symbols keep lighting up red and nothing that requires the internet like Netflix, Prime, YouTube etc work. I head to the network settings and it tells me theres no ethernet connection, it was on wifi so don't know why it feels the need to inform me of that, I then try reconnecting by selecting wifi and searching for my connection but it doesn't find anything. I then swear at it, threaten it with a baseball bat and restart it, after restart it connects and the two lights are no longer on, it works fine for a few hours but then drops connection again and the two red lights are back on with no internet related features working. I know it's not my internet/wifi as everything else in the house that uses it is still connected and working just fine. I can't connect it via ethernet as I have more important devices using all my ports.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Box keeps dropping wifi connection

Anyone any ideas?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes use an ethernet cable connection its more stable and reliable, the clue is in what its informing you to do, ie there's no ethernet connection.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I shouldn't need to, it's worked perfectly for the past year on this same wifi connection, it's just suddenly these last few days the V6 box has just randomly decided wifi doesn't exist anymore unless I restart it, once restarted it connects just fine with full 100% connection (it sits 2 meters away from my router) but then a few hours later it has a 'don't like wifi tantrum' again and won't see or connect to any wifi unless restarted, surely it has to be an issue with the box or software and as I said I have no free ports to plug it in to.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Get yourself an unmanaged ethernet switch with 1GB ports - an extra 5-8 ethernet port unit will cost ~£15 at the usual online places connect it with a new Cat6 cable to the Hub and then you have more ports and the V6 will be much more stable on that

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ok so something like the Netgear GS305?

My Hub is in Modem mode and I use an Asus RT-AC87U, so if I'm thinking right the switch is basically the ethernet equivalent of a mains mutiplug extention lead? Remove a device from one of my router ports, plug the switch into it then plug the removed device and the V6 into the switch?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yep.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.