Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

V6 Box Randomly Restarting

For a few weeks now, my V6 box has been randomly rebooting/restarting. Most of the time, it's been while I've had it on standby. However, I went to watch a recorded programme this morning and it did it again while I was watching it. There was absolutely no warning or message on screen beforehand.

I don't know if it's relevant but I usually switch the power off when I'm not using it, in order to save electricity (especially during lockdown).

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Box Randomly Restarting

@JohnWMentor wrote:

For a few weeks now, my V6 box has been randomly rebooting/restarting. Most of the time, it's been while I've had it on standby. However, I went to watch a recorded programme this morning and it did it again while I was watching it. There was absolutely no warning or message on screen beforehand.

Most likely a fault - reboots should be occasional, and overnight - i.e. linked to planned works, software drops, that kind of thing.

@JohnWMentor wrote:

I don't know if it's relevant but I usually switch the power off when I'm not using it, in order to save electricity (especially during lockdown).

The boxes are designed and intended to be left running 24/7 - software drops often occur overnight to minimise the impact, the EPG (TV Guide) updates every 6 hours, and various other functions all occur when you're not otherwise using it. If you are powering it off in this manner - you are going to store up problems sooner or later, and I wouldn't bet against this possibly hastening the demise of some internal components and contributing to the reboots.

There are power saving options available under Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Device > Power saving.

If the box is rebooting, I suggest you call VM Faults and report it. 150 from a VM phone, or 0345 4541111 otherwise.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Box Randomly Restarting

Thanks for your response. I'll try and leave it running continuously for a few days and see if that sorts it. If not, I'll have to seek further help.

0 Kudos