Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

V6 Box Giving off Burning Smell

Our V6 started giving off a burning smell tonight and freezes after startup when it's trying to build the TV listing.  We've had it for nearly a couple of years now but this is the first time we've had any problems.

I'm guessing there isn't an easy solution for this?  I'm a bit worried to leave it on unattended to record programmes etc.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Box Giving off Burning Smell

Any electrical device which is giving off a burning smell should be powered off and unplugged immediately. Report your fault to Virgin Media by the usual routes.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It's not worth trying to hoover out any dust then.  Dammit!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

i will flag for VM to contact you on here in the morning. But do switch it off and unplug it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Good morning Mikechichester,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your V6 box looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some concern! I would be more than happy to look into this for you and get a replacement sent out. It certainly sounds like its coming close to kicking the bucket! 

Please turn off the equipment, unplug and don't use anymore as it could be a fire risk, thank you so much for flagging for us @jbrennand.

I'll send you a PM now so we can chat about getting another one sent out 🙂

Thanks, 

Megan_L

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, they are in touch as promised.  Thanks for your help and for me avoiding the wait on the telephone line, much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hiya Mikechichester,

Thanks for chatting with me in our PM, I've now ordered you a replacement which will be with you in the next few days. 

Please let us know if you need any further help, you can dispose of the broken V6 box now 🙂

Thanks, 

Megan_L

0 Kudos